PDA

View Full Version : Nano Tank Skimmer

darb
12-02-2012, 01:53 AM
I am planning out my system and am going to need a sump based skimmer for my 25 gallon tank.

I don't have a sump yet, but space shouldn't be an issue, but I was considering either the Aqua C Urchin or the Tunze 9004.

Any comments on the two or other suggestions?

Stones
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I've heard very positive reviews about the Hydor Slim Skim series. They come in 2 sizes, are cheaper than an equivalently sized Tunze skimmer and apparently are near dead silent while performing great on small tanks. Mr. Saltwater tank had nothing but good things to say about the nano sized model.

I just ordered up the Hydor Slim Skim nano to try out on my red sea max and I know Albert Dao was selling the same one here a week ago if you are interested in giving it a try.

NU-2reef
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I bought a slim skim based on the reviews and liked the looks of it for an in tank skimmer but the performance was not impressive. Would be fine for a lightly stocked nano but it just didn't pull the skimmate I was hoping for.

I would get a deltec mce300 and hang it off the sump tank if there is space. I switched to the deltec and am very pleased

FishyFishy!
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
The Tunze 9002 or the 9004 would work great. I have ran numerous 9002's on tanks up to around 50 gallons total water volume and they always seem to work great. Another in sump option would be a smaller vertex, bubble magus, or CSC. All depends on the available space, and your budget.

Psyire
12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
I just received a 9004 today, unpacked and plugged it in. Very very quiet and is already producing.. I'll know more in a few days but my initial impressions are great!

Nano
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
I'd have to +1 nu-2reef on deltecs I've seen a few in action and they look great. As for tunze, I run a 9002 on my tank and when it works it works great, I'm a bit biased on tunze as I've had bad luck with my pumps for it. But as said when its working, its a great little skimmer.

Try to stay away from coralife or Hydor etc as IMO they arent worth the plastic they're made of. There's also HOB skimmers like aqua remoras, but again, I hear not much good about them other then they pull good skimmate, however they leave lots of micro bubbles and make noise from what I hear.

darb
12-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I just received a 9004 today, unpacked and plugged it in. Very very quiet and is already producing.. I'll know more in a few days but my initial impressions are great!

how noisy, or how quite would you say that it is?

as it sits right now I am probably going to go with the 9004 in the comline reefpack 250 which will also give me a filter for my QT tank.

Psyire
12-04-2012, 05:26 AM
how noisy, or how quite would you say that it is?

as it sits right now I am probably going to go with the 9004 in the comline reefpack 250 which will also give me a filter for my QT tank.

Well the water trickling over my overflow is louder than the skimmer. A few feet away i cant hear it at all. Very quiet imo.