PDA

View Full Version : Another coral feeding question

Coralgurl
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Do you guys feed your corals? If so, what are you using? Or do you rely on good water parameters and water changes, perhaps some dosing of calc, mag and alk?

Pros and cons to feeding or not feeding. Don't have any nps.

Interesting conversation today, I only feed my fishes, occassionally through in some cyclopseeze. I have marine snow but haven't used it in ages.

Don't mean to start any debates, just want to know what you all are doing. I'm thinking both tanks are pretty stocked up for fish so need to focus on the corals. Mine are growing, have 5-7 lps corals in my 180, the rest lps and a couple softies.

Do I need to be adding/doing more??

Thanks

Proteus
12-02-2012, 12:42 AM
I just started a zeo program. Not sure what they all are. 4 bottles total. So we will see in due time

reefwars
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
i wont go into a debate over feeding but heres what i feed a 50g system daily:

1-2 cups of a fauna marin mixture that is mixed and diluted with tank water:

FM ultra clam
FM zoa and acan
FM min F
FM min S
FM seafan

about 3-4 cubes of mysis,brine or pacfica plankton
fauna marin soft shrimp pellets or lps pellets
1/2 ounce coral smoothie
2 ounces of live phytoplankton

these also get mixed into the fauna marin mixture i mentioned above
freeze dried cyclopeeze
NLS micro reef feeder

i also add:

zeo coral vit
zeo amino acid concentrate
coral snow

i also dose a bunch of different pods.

basically heres my routine:

morning:

feed 1 ounce of ive phyto
2 turkey basters of the fauna marin mixture

i set up the ghetto feeder with 1 cup of the mixture to feed all day continuously.

a shot of coral smoothie to my blueberry gorg

i feed the fauna marin pellets to my dendros, my morrish idol also eats them as well.

i dose zeo products

when i get home i feed the mysis to fish and corals then feed another 2 turkey basters of the fauna marin mixture, another 1 ounce of live phyto, i dose the pods, and finish off with another bit of coral snow and set up the feeder to feed all night.

i doubt this is what your looking to copy though lol honestly i like the fauna marin lps pellets ,they are easy to use , you can target them to your lps without any extra pollution and they last a lot longer.

cheers:)

Coralgurl
12-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Nick, Id be interested in your results, are you going to be doing before and after pics or progress pics?

Denny, I've seen your concoction of foods....I know how well your corals are doing! I have no where near the dedication to feed that often. Looking for more weekly routines, this one day, that the next sort of thing, or if it's even required. I haven't been feeding directly, just whatever I feed the fish.

reefwars
12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Nick, Id be interested in your results, are you going to be doing before and after pics or progress pics?

Denny, I've seen your concoction of foods....I know how well your corals are doing! I have no where near the dedication to feed that often. Looking for more weekly routines, this one day, that the next sort of thing, or if it's even required. I haven't been feeding directly, just whatever I feed the fish.

its not needed for sure, basically theres two sides to it both have pros and cons ,but from what ive seen in seeing your tank in person is i would only spot feed some mysis to the lps here and there, your have a good number of fish that the remainder gets eaten and in turn also feeds your finer corals, and a small amout of mysis from time to time is normal for any tank to see:)

feeding corals in larger tanks with higher flow is harder than feeding corals in small tanks too.

chris121277
12-02-2012, 01:53 AM
i wont go into a debate over feeding but heres what i feed a 50g system daily:

1-2 cups of a fauna marin mixture that is mixed and diluted with tank water:

FM ultra clam
FM zoa and acan
FM min F
FM min S
FM seafan

about 3-4 cubes of mysis,brine or pacfica plankton
fauna marin soft shrimp pellets or lps pellets
1/2 ounce coral smoothie
2 ounces of live phytoplankton

these also get mixed into the fauna marin mixture i mentioned above
freeze dried cyclopeeze
NLS micro reef feeder

i also add:

zeo coral vit
zeo amino acid concentrate
coral snow

i also dose a bunch of different pods.

cheers:)

Holly crap man!! :shocked!: I thought I might be over feeding with just one cube of frozen a day and the occasional shot of reef chilli

lpsreefer
12-02-2012, 02:04 AM
i feed my lps most not all. with just pellets once every 7-10 days depending on when i feel like it.
i do water changes every two days in my 90 gallon its like 2.6 gallons every two days. sounds like an odd number but it the size my my container.
i also use zoe amino acid 1-2 mm every day (like denny aka "chatty kathy" says all the time whne you ask him about it. its like giving your lps enegry to keep thier feeding tentalces out longer)

subman
12-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I just started using the prodibio reef booster Sheena. I like it because it's easy lol I can't give any results yet but I will in the next couple of weeks

Proteus
12-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Reef booster is nice I just didn't care for my tank being cloudy

This is what I'm using. And yes I'll take pics along way

Amino acid
Pohl's xtra
Coral vitalizer
Sponge power

subman
12-02-2012, 03:15 AM
I'm actually just doing my first dose of it tonight. How long once the skimmer comes on does it take for the clouds to go away?

Proteus
12-02-2012, 03:43 AM
The cloudiness will dissipate on its own. But once skimmers on it'll pull it out right away as I'm pretty sure there's a good dose of fish oil or cod liver oil. Depending on turnover rate of coarse. But usually buy morning it'll be gone