PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to assess my tank?

paddyob
12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Man this year has been a nightmare.

After almost 7 years in this hobby, I am now losing sleep.

I am losing corals left right and center (about 50 dead!!!!) and testing is not helping me out at all.

My parameters all look within reason... and where they have pretty much always been. And no matter what I try.... nothing helps.

If someone (experienced) wants to come by one day and have a look... give advice and comfort me while I cry into my beer, let me know.

I'll have cold beer on hand for the willing. And I would be appreciative of the help.

*** possible concerns... bio pellets and auto doser. The pellets I have run for a long time... the doser "coincidentally" lines up with the beginning of my problems.... maybe its the Kh causing PH fluctuations? I just don't know. But everytime I look at my tank I feel like throwing a rock at it.....

:cry:

Anyways. Stressed that my tank went to **** in no time flat after years of perfect everything.

Myka
12-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I know how that feels. Sometimes it is a real struggle. I just came home after working in Alberta for a month and my 50-gallon reef is covered top to bottom in green cyano. It is going to be a lot of work to clean it up.

What part of Edmonton are you in? I will be visiting Blue World maybe/likely/possibly either on Dec 16th or Dec 22nd and might be able to stop by your place to see if I could offer some advice.

lpsreefer
12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Maybe something released a toxin in ur tank?

paddyob
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Maybe something released a toxin in ur tank?

Possibly a huge colt.

paddyob
12-01-2012, 12:22 AM
I know how that feels. Sometimes it is a real struggle. I just came home after working in Alberta for a month and my 50-gallon reef is covered top to bottom in green cyano. It is going to be a lot of work to clean it up.

What part of Edmonton are you in? I will be visiting Blue World maybe/likely/possibly either on Dec 16th or Dec 22nd and might be able to stop by your place to see if I could offer some advice.

North. 10 minutes ish up 97st from yellow head. Or about 5 from the henday exit.

Would love it if you came by Mindy!

Myka
12-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't really know my way around Edmonton very well. I would be going into Edmonton from St Albert. I usually go south by Aquarium Illusions (I should stop in there too haha), then down past the West Ed Mall to Blue World. My work schedule is completely abstract though and difficult to predict or plan anything. It would be a last minute thing. If you PM me your cell number I could try to give you some notice.

Delphinus
12-01-2012, 12:26 AM
What do you do for PO4?

paddyob
12-01-2012, 01:00 AM
What do you do for PO4?

Ok that's up for debate.

I test and always get zero. I run bio pellets in a reactor. It really did help for a long time. But since I ALSO have some algae issues ( partially due to being a busy new father ) it is assumable that PO4 is there but being consumed by the growing algae.

On feeding before its asked... I was feeding 3 small NLS pellet feedings a day. I reduced to 2 a month back. I do not feed frozen. Ever. And I only feed the corals when I feel like it. As I always have.

On lights... 6x48" t5 tek light. 4 recent bulbs... Last Two being replaced soon.

Delphinus
12-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Here's my thought .... I bet it is PO4. Biopellets apparently can only reduce PO4 as long there is NO3 alongside. PO4 is also very difficult to test, but it does inhibit calcification which turns into recession fairly easily.

For me PO4 is a constant battle. I use a cup of high capacity gfo per week in my 280, and if I miss a week I notice immediate effects.

I suggest adding some gfo for now and see what happens. It can't hurt..

paddyob
12-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Here's my thought .... I bet it is PO4. Biopellets apparently can only reduce PO4 as long there is NO3 alongside. PO4 is also very difficult to test, but it does inhibit calcification which turns into recession fairly easily.

For me PO4 is a constant battle. I use a cup of high capacity gfo per week in my 280, and if I miss a week I notice immediate effects.

I suggest adding some gfo for now and see what happens. It can't hurt..

Instead of pellets?

nerdz
12-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Instead of pellets?

Im sure he means IN ADDITION to pellets

paddyob
12-01-2012, 02:40 AM

I'm only running two reactors and carbon is one thing I never remove. Bag ?

warriorcookie
12-01-2012, 02:46 AM
I would put the carbon in a bag (preferably in an area of upward flow) and gfo in the reactor.

The Grizz
12-01-2012, 03:09 AM
I know Kien runs pellets, GFO & carbon all at once. Try to keep it simple, maintain your levels, change out you media on regular intervals & be patient.

I know it's not much for advise but it's the best I have at the moment.

The Grizz
12-01-2012, 03:10 AM
I'm only running two reactors and carbon is one thing I never remove. Bag ?

What do you mean 'never remove' Patrick?

rhody605
12-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Hey pat. You still using water straight from the tap?

If so give it a few tests. Water quality could have changed.

Mike

mr_alberta
12-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Is anything happening to your fish or inverts or are they all fine? What type of corals are you losing?

Reef Pilot
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Lots of very experienced reefers there in Edm. Hopefully, someone can help you out and find what might be causing your problem.

Are you still flying? I remember a while back you were concerned with how busy your life was getting.

kien
12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
I know Kien runs pellets, GFO & carbon all at once. Try to keep it simple, maintain your levels, change out you media on regular intervals & be patient.

I know it's not much for advise but it's the best I have at the moment.

I heard the same thing Greg. Apparently when Kien tried to run just pellets and carbon he would still get a fairly significant PO4 reading (Hanna checker). He concluded that bioPellets alone were not stripping PO4 fast enough so he runs GFO religiously. No more Po4 issues.

Every tank is different tho. I know plenty of people running pellets without any PO4 issues as well.. But then again I also know people who don't apply anything additional to just water changes. Grrrrrr! This hobby can be so annoying!

paddyob
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Is anything happening to your fish or inverts or are they all fine? What type of corals are you losing?

I have lost two fish in the last 6 months. The rest look fine.

Corals are all and anything. Palys. SPS (all). LPS (acans,torch,brain,candy cane ).

paddyob
12-01-2012, 07:27 PM
What do you mean 'never remove' Patrick?

I did some research and it shows you should let your carbon break down and then top it off....

Just kidding.

I change every 4-5 weeks. ROX.

Delphinus
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Yep, correct! In my own tank I run 3 reactors. If space is a concern you can always tie 2 (or 3) off the same pump, in parallel or in sequence.