PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae

Steve...
11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of hair algae on my live rock in my old tank and I'm planning to add this live rock into my new tank. Its still going through the cycle period and I was hoping the hair algae would starve out and die in the new tank. Any thoughts? I went thought a diatom bloom and its all gone now.

gobytron
12-01-2012, 04:38 PM
dont do it.
buy new lr.

FitoPharmer
12-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I would also suggest not adding your green hair algae LR to your new tank. Having two tanks running is a good time to do a little experiment IMO that is a great way of learning how to control algae outbreaks in the future. If you can successfully make your green hair algae disappear off your LR in your old tank by changing your maintenance routines and or adding equipment for at least a month or two, I would say you would be fine. Personally I have never found GHA to be a problem even know it was in all my tanks. But I have always tried to have a large amount of nutrient export built into my systems.

asylumdown
12-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Algaefix Marine by API. You have to get it contraband from Asia. Problem solved, rock saved.

The rock might still be leaching nutrients, so make sure you've got an appropriately designed nutrient export system or the algae will come back.

subman
12-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Peroxide dip the live rock

Proteus
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
+1.