PDA

View Full Version : Peppermints breeding in display

morecowbell
11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi all, I'm new here but I got pretty excited about something yesterday that I wanted to share.

I'm currently transitioning my tank from a seahorse tank to a reef. After have seahorses for a year and a half I found them a good home so I could do the switch to something more active and colourful. I loved and miss my seahorses but I didn't have the time to watch them like I used to.

When I first started my tank 1.5 yrs ago I bought 2 peppermints. When I moved in May, I found 3 of them. I didn't think much of it, sort of assumed the third hitch-hiked on something or maybe I didn't remember buying it.

Well, I got my diamond goby for the sand, and my 2 CB Ocellaris as my first peaceful fish while I continue to plan my livestock. I went to feed them yesterday and when I turned my pumps off my peppermints started coming out to snack on the leftovers. All of a sudden I counted 6 peppermints!! I couldn't believe it. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not but I always thought breeding practically anything really required a specific set-up and nothing really happens in a DT with all the possible predators. I got pretty excited and wanted to share!

nerdz
11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
very cool, thanks for sharing

Reef_Geek
11-30-2012, 07:54 PM
That is pretty cool.

Lysmata spp are not known to be easily raised. They will readily spawn, as they are hermaphroditic, but their larvae have a long development period of 40+ days so this makes them difficult to raise effectively and economically.

Here's a short piece on it: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/nftt/index.php

Your seahorse tank must have an ongoing population of foods for peppermint shrimp larvae and the right conditions (low flow). This is indeed very rare to have shrimp unexpectedly reproduce and survive to adult stage.

Kgrizzle
11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I'll take some off ur hands if u don't want
That many lol

morecowbell
11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
That is pretty cool.

Lysmata spp are not known to be easily raised. They will readily spawn, as they are hermaphroditic, but their larvae have a long development period of 40+ days so this makes them difficult to raise effectively and economically.

Here's a short piece on it: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/nftt/index.php

Your seahorse tank must have an ongoing population of foods for peppermint shrimp larvae and the right conditions (low flow). This is indeed very rare to have shrimp unexpectedly reproduce and survive to adult stage.

Neat! Thanks for the link. I actually have quite a bit of flow (rsm 250) but lots of macro for shelter which must have helped a lot. I've introduced pods as *treats* for the horses but that was it, guess I had more in there than I thought, and that my horses knew about!

I bet the shrimp are wondering where their supply of seahorse fry has gone!

morecowbell
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I'll take some off ur hands if u don't want
That many lol

Thanks for the offer. MUCH appreciated. But I think now I'm going to be extra careful that the fish I add won't pose a threat to my peppermint shrimp family. If I get overrun I will give you a shout ;)

sphelps
11-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Very cool and unusual, you've stumbled upon something special.

Kgrizzle
11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
alright I was only kinda kidding lol I forsome reason can't seem to keep them I added 2 to my old 29 gal to help control any aptasia and they disappeared so I got another 2 same thing... Upgraded my tank and got rid of aptasia with aptasia x but figured I would get another 2 just to further protect and they look cool and gone