PDA

View Full Version : Snail Escape

intarsiabox
11-30-2012, 02:46 AM
I got home today to find a large mexican turbo snail on the floor. He was still alive so I dropped him back in the tank and he's back at doing his thing already. I would have thought the snail would have sensed that he was out of water and went back down the glass. I've had the odd fish go carpet surfing but never thought I had to worry about snails too!

Reef Puffer
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I found a hermit crab crawling in my kitchen about 150 feet away from my tank. Silly critters!

Delphinus
11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
It can get even worse when you get into snail species that in the wild live in intertidal zones. There are at least 2 or 3 species that are sometimes available as cleanup clew - nerite, marguerites ... I think bumblebee snails as well (which can be FW also). I would find them clear across the room and sometimes with a little dried up slime trail on the carpet. Toss them back in the tank, they'd rehydrate and continue to live .. and eventually climb out the tank again and then this cycle would repeat until the time that their luck would run out and they dry out too much. I tell anyone considering snails to stay away from the intertidal ones!

Delphinus
11-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I found a hermit crab crawling in my kitchen about 150 feet away from my tank. Silly critters!

Wow that was quite the little adventure he went on!!!

Nano
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
That reminds me. I have to put eggcrate over my overflow tonight. I keep finding them in the sump

Palmer
11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
When I had a nano with a fairly small Mexican Turbo he would repeatedly go to the top of the tank just to the edge and spit water out of the tank somehow. I would end up with dried salt on paperwork in my office as the nano was on a sidetable where I worked. Not hard to imagine one getting over excited and taking a plunge. My main display has an additional horizontal lip and eggcrate preventing such things so never experienced it before.

Flash
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
i have a hermit crab that was king of escaping.... until he finally one time met my dog before i could get to him... poor buggar! lol

ScubaSteve
11-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Ya, I found a scarlet hermit in my bathroom once and another time saw a fiddler crab run across my living room floor when watching TV. How they escaped, I'll never know. I get verity, nerotes and margarites climbing in and out of my tank and overflow all the time. They think they just own the place.

Aysha
11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd be happy to have a crab or snail escape compared to the other creatures I have had lost in my house over the years! Frogs,snakes,geckos haha

intarsiabox
12-01-2012, 01:13 AM
I'd be happy to have a crab or snail escape compared to the other creatures I have had lost in my house over the years! Frogs,snakes,geckos haha

My daughter lost her hamster in the house a couple of years ago and it ended up in the unfinished basement. The problem was that it got into the insulation and I could never find it so I just left food and water out for a month. It finally occured to me to borrow a live mouse trap from work to catch it. So I got it home, put some peanut butter inside and went to bed. The next morning I found the hamster stuck half way into the trap because his fat little a$$ would not fit through the traps opening. Of course the spring tension was on his body all night so when I removed him he was still alive but bent in half. He managed to live for another year and never did quite straighten out again!

Aysha
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Yikes. I lost a hamster as a kid, Unfortunately a similar thing happened. She got stuck between a dollhouse and the wall. It took me months to get over it and the smell.

outacontrol
12-01-2012, 06:24 AM

WOW..... How big is your house. 150 feet from my tank would not even be in my yard.