PDA

View Full Version : Refugium to Tank Ratio

theshad
04-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to see what type of ratio people have between their tank size and the refugium they have on it.

Who has the largest? who has the smallest? is their an average size out there?

Since the use of a refugium seems to be a hot topic and in an effort to produce a more naturally fed tank Reef Crew will be conducting an experiment of sorts.

We are having a refugium made that should be about 50- 55Gal in size and we will be adding this to our 45Gal (35Gal actual water volume) tank. This will provide us about a 1:1.5 ratio of tank to refugium.

We want to see how much live food we can produce in the refugium, while providing a large amount of food to the tank.

How much can Corals and fish eat? maybe this will bring us one step closer to being better able to answer this question.

Let us know what your ratio is and what you think of our experiment.

Canadian Man
04-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Main tank 230g
Refugium 75g
Sump 100g
Frag tank 45g

BCOrchidGuy
05-01-2004, 05:27 AM
155Main
45 Refugium
45 Sump

In my 90 I used the same sump and had it with a DSB FULL of live rock, it produced a ton of pods etc... I read somewhere the refugium should be the same size or larger thant he main tank.. but.. I found the 45 good for my 90 gallon tank.

Doug

StirCrazy
05-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Used to have a 20 gal refuge on a 94 gal tank.. have notice no difference sence I took it off.

Steve

Jack
05-01-2004, 05:58 AM
I just installed a 10g 'fuge on my system (120g tank w/40g sump) Err.. that's not a huge ratio!

Fed by a MiniJet 404 and gravity drained to the display section. Not anything fancy... would just like to keep my 'pod population up to keep my sixline happily hunting. It's fun to watch!

I feed rotifers, golden pearls, cyclope-eeze, and very rarely baby brine shrimp. I'm not really looking for the 10g fuge to do much, if anything, for my corals.