PDA

View Full Version : Municipal water supply pressure

Delphinus
04-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Just moved...

The new place has considerably lower water pressure than the old place, and the RO output has slowed to a crawl. Whereas before I was getting ~50gpd out of a 50gpd membrane, I am getting maybe 12-15 gpd out of the unit now. This is very frustrating .. I run my RO output T'd off into two lines, one goes into a RO reservoir for making up SW, and the other feeds the tank topups. Basically at the output level it's currently at, it can't service both lines simultaneously.

So I've noticed that there is some kind of device that looks like a pressure regulator on my water supply line, just immediately following the water meter. It has something that looks like an adjustment screw.

Now, I assume that this device is placed on the line due to some municipal code or something like that; and I don't really want to be dinking with something I don't understand.

It seems to me there are three options to pursue:

1. Look for some kind of pressure boosting pump that can be used to increase the pressure of the RO inlet line. Advantage: should solve my problem. Disadvantage: probably costly, and I don't even know where to look for such a device.

2. T-off a supply line to the RO inlet prior to the pressure regulator. Advantage: should solve the problem, should be an inexpensive alternative. Disadvantage: it's defeating the purpose of whatever this regulator thing is for, possibly subjecting the RO to fluctuating pressures. Not sure if this is truly an issue though, since the old place had no such device and the RO would have had to deal with whatever pressure the city gave me. And it would only be for the RO unit.

3. Adjust this regulator thing. I don't have a pressure guage though, and I have no instructions for the unit, so I'm possibly quite out of my league. Would need to consult a plumbing authority or something before attempting this. Advantage: just an adjustment and not making any (more) invasive changes to the plumbing supply line. Disadvantage: don't know what I'm doing and I'm flying blind without some kind of guage to quantify the changes in supply pressure.

Opinions?

PS. Anyone know where to suggest to look for a RO pressure boosting pump? What about a water supply line pressure guage?

powerboy
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
what you are describing is most likely a PRV pressure reducing valve.

water comes in from street at about 80ish psi and this thing dials it down to about 40-50ish

the screw is indeed what regulates flow.. in for reduced pressure out for increase.

you can increase it if you want, its an easy way to increase pressure with no cost.

the only device i can really see having a problem with the increase in pressure would be the dishwasher. having said that, it depends on the plumbing used to connect it. most hose these days is rated for at least 100 psi so shouldnt be an issue.

i did it at my house, cranked it full and have not had a problem in almost 2 years.

P.S
the PRV will have a min/max value clearly labeled on the unit, so you have an idea of how much is flowing through

Canadian Man
04-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I was wondering what that black thing before your water meter was Tony :confused:
I don't got that on my house and it's only 3 years old now.

Sorry I can't help ya.

StirCrazy
04-29-2004, 11:25 PM
the weekest link in your house should be the temp/pressure relief on your hot water heater, they are designed to start lifting at 110PSI. if you put a gauge right after that reducer and slowly dial it up (do it a little, run a tap for a sec and let it stabalize) you can safely take it up to 80PSI with no worries. now having said that if something starts to leak at 80 PSI then it needed fixing anyways :mrgreen:

Steve

Delphinus
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks

Steve can you recommend a place to find a guage? Any plumbing supply store?

EmilyB
04-30-2004, 01:33 AM
After you get that tweaked, you can come over and do mine okay Tony... :lol:

TANGOMAN
04-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Forget it...just load 'em up and move again ! :eek: . By the way, I'm busy... :lol: . I've got a gauge I can bring over. :cool:

mnoll406
05-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey Tony,
You can get gauges at home depot, under $10. Does your RO have a inlet pressure gauge? If it does you could use that to tell you what your changes at the PRV are doing.

Mike

Delphinus
05-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately no gage on the unit (that would have been an easy one! :smile: ). I kind of looked around at HD but didn't see them. I could look again I have to pick up some more PVC bits (ya' can never have enough PVC bits :rolleyes: ). Doug recommended Hose Headquarters and I was gonna go check them out maybe later today.