PDA

View Full Version : Zetlight LED question

Ranchu50
11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had experience with Zetlight LEDs?

Apparently someone has retrofitted it into their Biocube canopy. Would this be an upgrade to the current biocube compact flourescent lights, which is two 35 watt power compacts ?

Am i allowed to post links?
http://qpaws.ca/zetlight_nano.html

mrhasan
11-28-2012, 05:44 PM
This thing is freaking awesome and cheap! Tagging along to see if anyone has experience with it :)

sphelps
11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Well the demonstration video puts them over a tank with fake coral, that's always a good sign.

Madreefer
11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Looks like the promotional vid was shot by a kid in his bedroom. The other vid shows a nano with a sailfin tang in it. Obviously designed and made by someone who does'nt know chit about the hobby. If that much thought went in to the vids than how much thought went in to the light? Yet it is only $80. I'd try one on my fuge for macro algae or mangroves.

gobytron
11-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Theres a guy on craigslist whos always trying to sell these...

subman
11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I would do this instead:
http://www.modularled.ca/14g-biocube/

I just did this on my son's red sea max and it looks fantastic!

JmeJReefer
11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
They could have just put the light over an empty tank to demo it for starters. 2nd, I don't even think that's a saltwater setup. Rather some FW with ornaments in it! Those might be FW fish in there! Awesome. The kids bedroom background sells it for me tho!!!!!

Zoaelite
11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Seems like an interesting approach;

-White LED: 50x0.06W
-Blue LED: 14x0.5W
-Red LED: 3x0.06W
-Green LED: 3x0.06W

The price is right, I would be interested to see if this could successfully keep coral.

mrhasan
11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Seems like an interesting approach;

-White LED: 50x0.06W
-Blue LED: 14x0.5W
-Red LED: 3x0.06W
-Green LED: 3x0.06W

The price is right, I would be interested to see if this could successfully keep coral.

I am not knowledgeable in the LED-factor but this light seems to be well engineered for a damn good price. Comes with wireless controls and all sort of effects but they have to be manually controlled. I did some search and found that people did success in keeping LPS and softies (Duh :P). Someone also claimed that SPS are thriving but I wouldn't count on that.

arash53
11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I do have ZP3500-SPS 144W on my RSM 130 for about 2 month.

I like it sofar . the performance didnt change ,but it is too soon to tell I have to see what will be the performance in a year.

I run the daylight mode on 70% only.

jords
11-29-2012, 02:13 AM
That video on the page looks kinda sketchy. As mentioned, those corals are all fake. And IMO, those fish in the tank look like black mollies, which are freshwater fish.... :/

Now as for the quality of Zetlight.... I don't think it's too bad. I personally don't use them, but you should definitely get into contact with Fred (his username is oyf709). He (used to?) sell the units, and speaks pretty good of them. I think now he carries different LED units though. Here are some pictures of the Zetlight that he sent me a couple weeks back:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/oyf709/IMG_1639.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/oyf709/image_2.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/oyf709/photo3.jpg

Ranchu50
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I would like to upgrade my biocube lighting , but it doesnt make total sense for me to spend $220-$250 on retrofit lighting kits for a tank i bought for about $200.

The $80 zetlight is appealing if its an upgrade to power compacts.

gobytron
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a 16.5" 70W HQI Sunpod available.
I would sell it for $80
Comes with mounting legs, 70W current USA 14k HQI Bulb and 8 leds (4 white, 4 blue for night time viewing).

In Coquitlam.

oyf709
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
it is always funny that someone assume something that they donno about. The reason behind the fake coral was that I don't have a small salt water tank to do the display and my 60G was way too big for the 2 nano touch and no it is not recommended for that size. Since google is your friend, you should be able to find out more about the Zetlight Nano from 3reef or nanoreefblog. The couple pictures are from 2 guys that got the light from me, I personally never tried it with SPS, however, some guy on 3reef posted a picture about the light is able to grow SPS and you guys can just check it out. BTW, there are more than just 1 person got the Zetlight pro from me, I think I probly sold about 30 to 40 fixtures by now and I wish they can come out and do some true reviews, people like spit.fire , or fire.is.fun. I think I even traded couple the ZP2500 to someone for a skimmer and a CA reactor few months back.

PS: The reason there is a salfin tang in the 60g is mainly due to the down size from 120g to 60g. My wife refused to give up the 2 tang we had and I am force to settle with them in my tank for now till I move to a new house.

EDIT one more time: BTW I made both crap video on youtube, only made them for 3reef as Zetlight is 3reef sponsor and the company didn't bother to do any follow up or update on information. So as someone selling their light, I took on the responsibility to do it myself with personal camera. My purpose was only trying to show the functionality and not the actual performance. If I want to fake it I can easily change some existing establish tank and put the light on then shoot the footage. However, that is not my purpose. I also not going to change my user name, I used it on youtube, use it here, use it on ebay and etc is because I want people to know I am same person and not afraid to be tracked. If I am so concern about getting tracked because selling some junk to people then I would of go with different user names. It is ok to question the light's performance, but if you questioning my purpose of doing the video and saying I am just trying to scam people, then you are attacking me directly.

Madreefer
12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
So are you using this light right now? How is it compared to the light that you got from Australia back in March. I'm actually considering one of these for my fuge. I'm sorry i'd rather not sign up to another reef site to get a review. mrhasan seems to be a struggling student and he's a pretty active member on here and looking for a good LED fixture. He'd be a good candidate for a review, write one off and help him out.

mrhasan
12-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Hihi. Yah I am not the OP of this thread :p the led do look very promising. I have contacted frank but I am still in confusion whether this would be better than a quad t5 fixture.

oyf709
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
well I have been warn not to say much on the light and only reason why I came to response is I saw someone making fun of my tank without any good advice in between other than being sarcastic.

Again, I am not qualify to comment on how good the light is. The best I can do is provide the spec of the light. The rest of it is all depend on previous client's feedback.