PDA

View Full Version : to sump or not to sump

christyf5
10-04-2001, 03:03 PM
Does a 48G tank really need a sump?? I'm looking at some DIY projects and they really don't look all that efficient to me for the filter part. IMO, they seem to be more to hide stuff. Any thoughts?

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DJ88
10-04-2001, 03:55 PM
Well my 33 has a sump Christy. I am building a 27 or a 29 with a sump as well. It adds to your total water volume, making it more stable, allows for you to hide things such as skimmers, heaters etc.. a place to add carbon if it is needed. A great place to drip Kalk or add a reator output. Umm.. you can have a small refugium/DSB for more filtration and growing of macro algae(nutrient export). hmm what else.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gifThere is lots n lots..

By having reverse lighting on the sump from the tank you help keep your Ph stable..

I am sure that the rest of the gang here can add more.. lets see if we can get a list together..

As for DIY sumps.. they can be really simple.. I have a 20 with a partition to keep the water level on one side constant as well as help get rid of bubbles form the skimmer output. all it took was three pieces of cut glass siliconed in to make a baffle.. piece of cake.. I also add top off water in the sump.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Is there anything they can't do? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Aquattro
10-04-2001, 03:58 PM
Christy, I have to agree with Darren. My first tank was a 45g and I had it drilled for an overflow to a sump. I wouldn't run a tank without one.

DJ88
10-04-2001, 05:16 PM
reverse lighting is having your sumplights come on as your tank lights go off.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You can get overflows so you don't need to drill. But you run the risk of losing siphon and the overflow not working, resulting in water everywhere.. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Yup... images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

If you are going to be emptying the tank take it to a speedy auto glass. get the size of the hole you need drilled and away you go.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Troy F
10-04-2001, 05:27 PM
I set up my first tank without a sump and will never do it again. For one, you are limited to the type of skimmer you can run. Also, you increase your water volume, have a place to hide heaters etc. and can have little refugium down there too.

I looked into using a reverse lit sump or refugium to stabalize pH and found that unless you can run a huge sump/refugium (ie close to the same volume as your main tank) it will not have an effect on pH.

One_Divided
10-04-2001, 05:32 PM
I was in a similar predicatment with my tank.. A sump would have been a huge hassle becuase I couldn't drill my already established tank. I also didn't want to risk using a sifon overflow box since I have a recording studio in the same room as my tank! A flood would cost me thousands!

So I decided to build a refugium above my tank.. My mj1200 feeds my remora skimmer (which didn't fit the back of my tank) and the return from that flows back via gravity to my tank by a drilled overflow.. I used a rubbermaid container for the fuge.. It works for every use I would have needed a sump for.. I'll post a couple pics if you want..

titus
10-04-2001, 06:30 PM
Hello christyf5,

This is what and why I use a sump:
1) Water top off
2) Water change (just cut off the return pump, drain all water from sump, and mix new water in there)
3) Feed and return of ca reactor
4) Water tests (easier to take sample from sump)
5) Heater
6) Water level sensor (sump can have greater water level changes than your main tank)
7) Skimmer intake/return/bubble reduction
8) Refugium
9) A place to add carbon or what not
10) A place to float new bags of animals for temperature acclimitation
11) A place to put my pH probe and measure salinity
12) A place to add additives
13) A place to temporarily place aggressive animals

Titus

[ 04 October 2001: Message edited by: Titus ]

StirCrazy
10-04-2001, 10:20 PM
all thease good ideas poping up.. if I were to get my tank drilled for a overflow, would I be able to put a plug or something in it and use it to add a sump at a later point in time?

Steve

christyf5
10-04-2001, 11:04 PM
Yes yes, the reasons for a sump are all grand and such, I have no problem with that (and I didn't know you could put aggressive fish in there, cool, like a punishment tank for being bad) but its the "water everywhere" comment that I'm worried about. I think I need to look into this plumbing thing. I'm a scientist not a plumber, ask me the scientific name of a fish or coral and I can answer that but if you want me to talk about plumbing I can tell you to jiggle the handle on the toilet to stop it from running all the time. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
Ok so I need an overflow now. I'm gonna go look at this stuff in a book before I ask any more stupid questions... images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Christy

PS. Yes pictures would totally help!!! Bring 'em on!! (detailed diagrams would also be appreciated images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

reefburnaby
10-04-2001, 11:53 PM
Hello,

Link should answer most of your questions....

As for sump vs no sump...have your tank drill with two or four holes (two in each corner) regardless of which one you decide. If you are not comfortable with a sump...then at least your tank can be quickly and safely modified to handle a sump. The extra two holes will ensure flexibility in your overflow design.

Successful reefs can be kept with or without a sump.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa061900.htm

- Victor.

christyf5
10-05-2001, 04:39 AM
What is reverse lighting? And how can I get away with adding a sump without drilling holes in my tank??

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BCReefer
10-08-2001, 01:43 PM
Pardon my ignorance but if you predrill holes for the future and then I presume you add some sort of stopper. How do you add the equipment at a latter date with out popping out the stopper and having water run out? I am in the midst of looking at getting a 50G tank with a sump etc and I am interested in this also. The above link is good help.

Thanks

Troy F
10-08-2001, 03:08 PM
BCReefer, you could use gate/ball valves.

DJ88
10-08-2001, 03:12 PM
Yup.. I agree. set it all up but have a good quality valve closed until you need to hook up the drains and returns in your new fancy sump.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

reefburnaby
10-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Hello BCReefer,

Yes, you can use a ball valve. A cheaper way is to place NPT threaded plugs on both sides of the bulkhead -- available at HD. Besure to use teflon tape on the NPT threads to provide a watertight seal.

Once a hole is cut through the tank, a bulkhead is usually placed through the hole. The bulkhead provides pipe threads (usually called NPT threads) on both sides of the hole. This allows you to connect NPT pipes to the tank without leaks.

The only thing you need to figure out is...how big of a pipe do you want to pass in and out of the tank images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.