PDA

View Full Version : Algea mower

Money pit
11-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Check this thing out, supposedly even removes aiptasia
http://www.algaemower.com/

apexifd
11-26-2012, 02:28 AM
I will not use that on aptasia... it will probably shred the aptasia in million small pieces and all the pieces didnt get suck out will find a spot in the tank and regrow.

Zoaelite
11-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Agreed on the aiptasia account, would be nice to see a unit that incorporates an actual vacuum so the water wasn't put back into the aquarium.

Also I regret to inform the maker of this product that saying "uhm" 217 times in a 3 minute video about your product makes me lose confidence in it :neutral:.

windcoast reefs
11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't use it on aptasia either. It would probably make the aptasia worse.

StirCrazy
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't use it at all.

Steve

mseepman
11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Saw this in action at MACNA. It actually didn't look to bad at first but the more I thought about it...the more I disliked it. Funny enough...this was the only booth that felt they needed scantily dressed models to help them sell their wares...not that I was complaining, just thought it was a little different.

mike31154
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Agreed on the aiptasia account, would be nice to see a unit that incorporates an actual vacuum so the water wasn't put back into the aquarium.

Also I regret to inform the maker of this product that saying "uhm" 217 times in a 3 minute video about your product makes me lose confidence in it :neutral:.

Check out the description and/or assembly video closely and you'll see that includes options to capture what you're 'mowing' as well as a tube to actually syphon waste water out if you wish.

Not sure I'd buy one before I had a closer look at it in person, but I think it's a great idea. With a bit of fine tuning of the design I'd consider getting one. With the motor/pump so close to the end, it will be tricky to get into some of the tight spots where algae tends to set up. I'd also want to have a really close look at the quality of the seal for wiring the AC adapter into the handle. While it is a low voltage item, I still don't like messing with something in the water that has wires attached. I would most probably use it with the 9 volt battery only.

StirCrazy
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Check out the description and/or assembly video closely and you'll see that includes options to capture what you're 'mowing' as well as a tube to actually syphon waste water out if you wish.

its lack luster preformance on the algae was enough for me to know its junk.

Steve

Zoaelite
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Not to mention the videos are sped up a bit.

mike31154
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Ok, ok, but don't forget the scantily dressed models used to promote the junk at MACNA!