PDA

View Full Version : Tlf 550 reactor mod for pellets

rhody605
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
There are a lot of different ways to modify a tlf for pellets. The first way i tried was to simply add the knitting mesh to the bottom and top plates. The problem I found was that I needed a lot of flow to get them to tumble. The pellets toward the outside of the reactors would tumble but none toward the center. I was using a maxijet 1200 and was sourcing out a larger pump for more flow.

Here is a video that I found. It is a mod for a tlf 150. So my mods are similar.

http://youtu.be/SsNDrSfOXK8

I glued my knitting mesh to the upper plate then glued the acrylic down tube to the upper plate. Attached the elbow to the top of the upper plate using a small piece of acrylic rod that was included. Glued that joint. And attached it to the removable inlet pipe.

Note: flow valve must be on the input hose. Otherwise pellets everywhere inside the reactor.

Voila. Im only using a small amount inside my reactor so I only need 1/4 - 1/3 flow on my maxijet 1200

I will post my pics once I upload them to my laptop.

Mike

ILIKECOUGARS
11-26-2012, 01:25 AM
I did this mod on my Tlf 550 reactor, it work great for about a year and a half. Without the bottom plate it worn the plastic on the bottom so thin it started to leak.
I am guessing that the flow of water force the pellets to hit the bottom of the reactor.
I was Lucky that I notice the wet spot in my cabinet, otherwise I could of had a flood.
It worn the plastic so thin that you could push your finger nail thru it.

rhody605
11-26-2012, 03:12 AM
I can definitely see how over time it could wear it thin. Is there any reef safe rubber that I could glue/silicone to the bottom of the reactor?

Mike

subman
11-26-2012, 03:47 AM
I did the same mod but cut the acrylic pipe o bout 3" up and added a flexible hose and curled it around the bottom to swirl the pellets around

rhody605
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Excellent idea. Looks like time for another mod. Lol.

Mike

Ross
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Note: flow valve must be on the input hose. Otherwise pellets everywhere inside the reactor.

Where did you source a small check valve from?

rhody605
11-26-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't have a check valve installed. Just a normal ball type valve that came with my reactor.

Hope that helps picture my setup.

Mike

Ross
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Have you unplugged your pellet reactor since doing this mod?

I modified mine last night and it makes a huge mess when you unplug it.
Since the tube is unrestricted to the pellets, they get sucked back out the motor into the sump when the pump isn't turning.

Mine also plugged up my 250gph powerhead in the process.

I switched it back promptly to the way that it was previously since the last thing I want is pellets plugging up my skimmer or return pump.

I assumed you installed a check valve to remedy this issue.

rhody605
11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I can see how that can be an issue. When I shut off my pump I closed my input valve which stopped any back flow.

Mike

Ross
11-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I can see how that can be an issue. When I shut off my pump I closed my input valve which stopped any back flow.

Doesn't work for a power outage though.
I plugged mine in and it made a racket, so I unplugged it and then plugged it in again a few times, and that threw the GFCI, so there could be huge potential impact if this occurred while away.

rhody605
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
That is true. I will test my system for a power failure and see if my low valve opening is enough back flow for the pellets to go backwards.

I'm using standard 1/2 hose. I will do some searching for a check valve as well.

Mike

subman
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Have you unplugged your pellet reactor since doing this mod?

I modified mine last night and it makes a huge mess when you unplug it.
Since the tube is unrestricted to the pellets, they get sucked back out the motor into the sump when the pump isn't turning.

Mine also plugged up my 250gph powerhead in the process.

I switched it back promptly to the way that it was previously since the last thing I want is pellets plugging up my skimmer or return pump.

I assumed you installed a check valve to remedy this issue.

It can all be solved with proper hose placement. Either have both hoses on the same level (a sump setup) or have the upper hose out of the water so their is a siphon break. no check valve is required.