PDA

View Full Version : Exposing SPS during water change

Reef Pilot
11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a new SPS (Purple Cross) coral that I placed on top of my highest live rock, in order to maximize its lighting intensity. However, I noticed that during a water change, part of it is exposed for a period of time (about 15 minutes) until I can refill the tank with the new water.

Is this a problem? Will the coral suffer? One option is to bath the exposed coral manually with water every few minutes while it is exposed.

Zoaelite
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Most SPS will do just fine as they are exposed for many hours during low tide, that being said there are countless SPS species out there and many of them are regarded as deep water species so this might not be true.

Make sure you don't have a window open (at least during the winter) while doing this, I did it once and ended up having a dead coraline line all the way around my tank!

dreef
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
No problems at all..i had dozens half exposed for at least a 1/2 hour one time,zero problems.Look what happens in nature

Aquattro
11-25-2012, 05:52 PM
When I transport larger colonies, I leave them fully exposed in rubber maid tubs. One large stag was out of water for an hour, no problems. The purple cross is fine, although I do have one colony that gets a bit ticked off being exposed. No damage, just lots of slime. Make sure you don't have a hot light directly over it.

marie
11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
........ Make sure you don't have a hot light directly over it.

I did this once and cooked a volunteer pocillipora colony

Reef Pilot
11-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks, everyone for the responses. I have Radions, so the light shouldn't be too hot, plus I have a plexi cover. I knew the occasional exposure would be OK, but wasn't sure about regular exposure with each water change. Sounds like I needn't worry, though.

Now I just need work on getting this Purple Cross to turn purple, instead of plain brown...

Aquattro
11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Now I just need work on getting this Purple Cross to turn purple, instead of plain brown...

good luck! Mine is the poorest colored coral in my tank. If it wasn't too big to cut out, I'd throw it away :)

Reef Pilot
11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
good luck! Mine is the poorest colored coral in my tank. If it wasn't too big to cut out, I'd throw it away :)
I've heard that from others, too, so not overly optimistic with mine, but we'll see. I've only had it a few days, so way too early to tell. That's why I stuck it on top, though, so hoping the higher light intensity will help.

Reefer Rob
11-25-2012, 10:02 PM
This is not the first time I've heard that people have trouble getting the Purple cross to color nicely, but it really surprises me. It was always one of the easiest corals to grow in my tank, and it was a real show piece. I didn't do anything special, just good water quality... at times not so perfect :redface:

I wouldn't put it too high up, it needs room to grow. If it gets happy it will be massive.

An old picture, it's the purple (blue) coral on the left.

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/oct10/images/images/Right%20Centre.jpg

Aquattro
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Rob, you and Denis seem to have no problem. Mine grows great, just not a lot of color. I am comparing mine to Jamie's original piece, and it's not even comparable!

Reef Pilot
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
This is not the first time I've heard that people have trouble getting the Purple cross to color nicely, but it really surprises me. It was always one of the easiest corals to grow in my tank, and it was a real show piece. I didn't do anything special, just good water quality... at times not so perfect :redface:

I wouldn't put it too high up, it needs room to grow. If it gets happy it will be massive.

An old picture, it's the purple (blue) coral on the left.

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/oct10/images/images/Right%20Centre.jpg
Well, judging from the rest of the corals in that pic, you're obviously doing a lot of things right..., very beautiful. For me, that is still just a dream...

Reefer Rob
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Rob, you and Denis seem to have no problem. Mine grows great, just not a lot of color. I am comparing mine to Jamie's original piece, and it's not even comparable!

I wish I could tell you what the secret is, but I have absolutely no idea. I did nothing special, standard Berlin method aquarium. I did dose iodine most of the time, but I don't think thats the key. Undetectable nitrate and phosphate, but I think that's pretty common in reef tanks.

Aquattro
11-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Undetectable nitrate and phosphate, but I think that's pretty common in reef tanks.

I'm at 0 on both, still have a gray cross :) Everything else is blue or purple, just not that one.

reefermadness
11-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Looks pretty low nutrient and/or very bright lighting (10k?) judging by the looks of the corals....if I didnt know better I would have maybe guess zeo as well. That is probably the key with it then (low nutrient/high light).....

windcoast reefs
11-26-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm at 0 on both, still have a gray cross :) Everything else is blue or purple, just not that one.

I'm starting to get purple tips on the one I got from you, but I have it a half inch from the surface right beside a power head.

But back to the question! Yeah I leave mine exposed for 30 minutes every week without a problem!

Reefer Rob
11-26-2012, 01:59 AM
I had from 12k to 14k over the years. 400w then reduced to 250w because I thought it too bright.

I had macro in a refugium with nutrients too low to grow Chaeto, so ya, low nutrient is likely key... though this suprises me. At times I've struggled to get corals to color nicely... just never the Purple Cross :smile: It had nice color from the day I put it in the tank till the day I took it out.

cuz
11-26-2012, 02:29 AM
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/scuzzycuzzy/8211710948_322517b32e_b.jpg

rhody605
11-26-2012, 03:45 AM
That's a wicked pic. Did you take it?

Mike

daniella3d
11-26-2012, 04:42 AM
I always wait until my MH is off before doing my water change which take around 40 to 50 minutes. My SPS always slime a bit but they are fine.