PDA

View Full Version : Moving a LARGE tank

Buccaneer
04-28-2004, 06:50 PM
I would like some opinions from everyone as to what would be the best way to move a large reef ...

here is the situation ... I have a 300G inwall reeftank with corals / inverts / fish etc

a 70G sump underneath

a 50G frag tank

all plumbed together complete with beckett skimmer / Calcium reactor / lighting / closed loops etc

I also have a used 300G in my garage that I traded for that I remodeled the size of the stand and it needs a litle work but not much

To get the 300G out of the basement is not going to be a easy feat in itself and I dont think I can keep everything alive long enough in buckets etc while I try to do so .....

soooo I thought maybe if I setup the used 300G in the basement of the new house a few days before I tear the inwall down with maybe half the old water / half new water and take half the live rock out and put it in there too

Then move corals and inverts over for a couple days

Then fish last

Then try to remove the inwall tank ( not sure if it will come out of the basement in one piece ... will have to make a cardboard model and see if it will )

Any thoughts on this strategy ?

EmilyB
04-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes, my first thought was that sounds exhausting... :razz:

Canadian Man
04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Sounds like the best stratagey to me Steve.

Mitch (Carpentersreef) has moved his large tank a few time and did something similar. Maybe contact him and get his opinions as well. he may chime in here too.

Beverly
04-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Steve,

We're going to be upgrading our three tanks within the next month or so and I've been planning how to do it. Your plan sounds pretty good to me. Good luck getting the inwall 300g out of your basement, though :eek:

MitchM
04-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Both times that I did it, I had an extra (second) large tank and a few weeks overlap between move-in/move-out dates.

That allowed me time for set up of the new tank at the new place, transfer of the corals, fish and as much existing water as possible.

Next was tear down and transfer of the old tank to the new house. It's guaranteed that plumbing set-up and solvent curing times are going to take longer than you plan for.
You don't want to rush new salt water cycling either.
My set up is a 204g main tank with a 180g sump.

How did you get the 300g downstairs in the first place?

Mitch

Buccaneer
04-28-2004, 09:05 PM
How did you get the 300g downstairs in the first place?

Mitch

I built it ... then built the wall ... it is touch and go just looking at it as to whether it will come out in one piece but the only way I will know for sure is to do a model and see.

By what you say my first instincts would be correct in setting up the second tank over at the new place first ... I doubt there will be a cycle if most water and rock are used as there wont be time for die-off ... just have to be very organized in the timing of it all.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far

and Deb ... I do get tired just thinking about it :rolleyes:

Delphinus
04-29-2004, 05:02 AM
I doubt there will be a cycle if most water and rock are used as there wont be time for die-off ... just have to be very organized in the timing of it all.

That's what I said too. One yellow tang, one fairy wrasse, and two cleaner shrimp, and several corals, say different though. :frown:

Basically don't be optimistic. It will be every bit as bad as you can imagine it to be, and worse still. My advice, don't do it (i.e., move the tank wet). Plan for an overlap, and better yet, get rid of everything you can, and for those things that you cannot bear to part with, arrange for housing in someone else's tank for a MINIMUM of a few weeks. Don't take chances.

I will never move a tank again. Never. Not unless I could have a several week overlap like Mitch did, or we're talking about a 30g or less. However, that's not always a realistic possibility. If you love your livestock, find them a home while you get everything else sorted out.

Sorry to be a downer but I now realize that it's just crazy and ill-advised to try to take it with you (in one go). Do yourself a favour ... get that interim tank set up somewhere off-site where you don't have time working against you. Friend's house, or something. Moving is stressful enough without having to worry about the livestock on top of it.

Buccaneer
04-29-2004, 08:28 AM
One question Tony ... did you move the sandbed intact ?

Delphinus
04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
We tried to ... But it's impossible to not disturb it completely though.

But the tank that suffered the losses had the least amount of sand disturbed, so I'm not sure that's it.

Both tanks had testable levels of ammonia for a few days afterward. I guess I'm just saying ... you should still expect a small cycle, it's unavoidable.