PDA

View Full Version : Good

Jaws
11-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Can anyone else confirm if this is a good generator or not for the price:

http://www.costco.ca/.product.10361755.html?&cm_mmc=BCEmail_BlackFriday2012_EN-_-Banner-_-67-_-MarketingItemName.

Borderjumper
11-24-2012, 05:50 AM

http://www.costco.ca/.product.10361755.html?&cm_mmc=BCEmail_BlackFriday2012_EN-_-Banner-_-67-_-MarketingItemName.

I don't know. I have a little Honda.

That one is for sure priced right, and Costco has the best return policy, so I don't see how you can really go wrong for the price.

Jaws
11-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks Shelly. What are some of the things you should look for in a good generator?

don.ald
11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't know. I have a little Honda.

That one is for sure priced right, and Costco has the best return policy, so I don't see how you can really go wrong for the price.

Have you ever used it is my question?
I have one sitting in my shed for years. Still int the box.:sad:

On sale now
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ShopEquipment/Generators/PRD~0550314P/Champion+1500W+Gas+Generator.jsp?locale=en

rhody605
11-24-2012, 03:21 PM
What do u plan to use the generator for. The purpose will determine what you should but. The can tire one will be very loud. The Costco one will be a lot quieter. Not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha. But quite comparable. The Costco one can safely be used with electronics such as laptops and such due to being an inverter.

Mike

Jaws
11-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I understand what you mean Donald. However, I've also lived in Victoria and been without power about 6 years ago for about 12 hours or more. The only thing that saved me was my Toyota Tacoma had an outlet in the box of my truck that was capable of running my powerheads as long as the truck was running. I lived on the 3rd floor of a condo at the time in downtown Langford with a 180G SPS tank so it looked pretty funny running an extension cord out my window to my running truck in the parking lot for an hour at a time every few hours or so but it did the job. Because there wasn't enough juice to run the heater I had to wrap the tank in blankets and hope for the best. It all turned out fine in the end so that was good but I'm building a 700G total volume SPS system right now so a few hundred dollars to protect an investment like that is tiny compared to replacement cost if anything did happen.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Jaws
11-24-2012, 03:27 PM
I imagine it would only be used almost exclusively for the tank but possibly for one or two other items if needed. Mostly for a heater and return pump - the bare minimum. Im not to concerned about noise because it would be in the garage or under a covered deck.

BlueTang<3
11-24-2012, 03:31 PM
I also have a Honda the 2000 inverter but use mine for camping and in case of a power outages. My cousin had a costco generator and once you got it started there basically all the same, the off brand was just more pulls and frustration to get running. His wasn't this brand can't actually recall what he had, we were out camping may long and basically whole family has Hondas he had the off brand h pulled it until he broke the recoil off. He happened to have a spare one so I opened the unit and had to tear it right down to change recoil drained fuel and filled with premium and used a hotter spark plug. After that was great, he was mad it let him down tho and returned it to Costco. Till this day he still regrets returning it as you can't get anything comparable anywhere close to the price. If all your using it for is keep for power outages I'd say it's great the inverters are nice as the run very quietly. Never used it before but if you look at it this way my Honda 2000 set me back around 1100 + on sale and now retail is around 1400 I believe or in the ball park u can't go wrong with this model.

To answer the previous question if the generator was ever used for tank emergencies, we had to once although by the time I got fuel in it found cords to reach outside and got it all up was only a matter of a few hours it ran for.

rhody605
11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
It is a great price for the wattage. I have a Honeywell brand though. And is the next size down. 100% reliable for me.

If I were in your shoes. For that price I would buy it.

Mike

christyf5
11-24-2012, 04:00 PM

On sale now
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ShopEquipment/Generators/PRD~0550314P/Champion+1500W+Gas+Generator.jsp?locale=en

LOL, I have a crappy tire one too. It made it out of the box but never been used, I think I've had it 4 years now :razz:

Jaws
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
If you're planning on using it that little and only in an emergency, a cheaper crappy tire one does sound a little more appealing. Thoughts?

Borderjumper
11-24-2012, 07:48 PM

On sale now

LOL mine is brand new sitting in the box in my closet. I don't want to put gas in it until its really needed, as it will smell! It's just for piece of mind.

Borderjumper
11-24-2012, 07:49 PM
If you're planning on using it that little and only in an emergency, a cheaper crappy tire one does sound a little more appealing. Thoughts?

I still would go for the Costco warranty over trying to return it to crappy tire in the event you just don't like it

Dearth
11-24-2012, 08:00 PM
My neighbour has a Costco generator which he uses on camping and snow mobiling trips he likes it as it is relatively quiet but his biggest complaint with it is below minus 10 it is a real bitch to start but you won't have to worry about cold per se where your at

halwake
11-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey, we have the Powerhouse 3100. I chose to buy it because of the remote start and price point over the Honda. I have had it to the shop a couple times because of how difficult it was to get it to start. Finally they put a new starter and automatic choke upgrade in and it seemed to work if the temp. was 15 degrees celcius or above. Seems any lower and it struggles to start. Right now I am not sure I could get it going this cold. Remote start is great when it starts up easily, mine is slightly louder than the Honda equivilent but it was $1000 cheaper than the Honda. Costco has a great return policy if you find its not for you or you are having issues. I bought mine from the RV dealer who just gave me a phone number. If I was to do it again, I would spend the money and get the honda. Just my 2 cents. My Powerhouse is a great machine when it starts like it should.

rhody605
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
There is a nice box frame one at Walmart. 3500 watt Hyundai. For $300.

Mike

StirCrazy
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM

doesnt show up anymore..

couple questions if you haven't gotten one yet.

do you own your house? and do you have natural gas.

if so you may want to look at a automatic whole house generator.
the costco here has a 17000kw one with auto transfer switch and such, which would mean that you wouldn't even have to be home and you can pick which citcuts it powers. so you could power a few lighting circuits, fridge, tank, and some house heat if its electric or your furnace if it is gas.

if you only want a cheep one for your tank then costco has this one
http://www.costco.ca/Powerhouse%c2%ae-1900W-Inverter-Generator-Manual-Start.product.10354949.html

it is a quiet one also.

Steve

Northernseacorals
11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
LOL, I have a crappy tire one too. It made it out of the box but never been used, I think I've had it 4 years now :razz:

Gosh you know, even if you have never taken it out of the box; you should still engine fog oil the machine once a year to prevent corrosion in the cylinders; most of the cylinders have something called "nikasil" it's a silicon carbide coating to help against ware, it works wonderfully to help give longevity to a "working motor" however if left they can corrode quickly.

Food for thought :wink: