PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting neptune apex...question about networking.

cblair
11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an apex for my new tank, and would like to be able to monitor and control it thru my iPad. I'm wondering if anyone has had success doing this with a telus Siemens 567 gigaset modem/router, before I buy the system. And also which wireless adapter would work well, so I don't have to run a cable through my house.

Thanks in advance

kole
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Have you posted your question in the Neptune forum on Reef Central? That's where you will find a lot of info specifically about the Apex system. BTW I have an Apex and that's where I've found the most info.

cblair
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah was thinking about it but was more inclined to see if any one here had experience with that particular modem and telus. Thought there might be a lack of information regarding Telus on reef central...but i will do it. thanks

subman
11-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Are you wondering about connecting from outside the house?

cblair
11-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes, to connect from outside my network. Ive read some stories online about this Telus siemens router and how people have a hard time port forwarding and connecting remotley whether its webcams and what not, due to telus firmware they install on this modem/router. I know there are some threads on this forum regarding the apex and telus but using a different modem. So just looking for experiences if anyone has tried the apex with the siemens modem.

Psyire
11-24-2012, 01:22 AM
I am using Telus with the same router. I don't have an ipad though, but I do use an android tablet. Do you want to have control from anywhere via. the internet? or just while your at home?

cblair
11-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks thats good to know it can be done. iwould like to control it both at home and through the internet while not at home using either the ipad or my android phone...i dont think it matters as long as you have the apex app

subman
11-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Actually they are just beta testing the android app right now the iOS app is actually from Neptune. The android app is made by a guy and it works well but not ad good as the iOS app.

It can be done for sure, I hate the built in wireless routers the telco's give out now so I always use an aftermarket wireless router. I'm sure the guys on reefcentral can figure it out or at least Paul from Neptune.

cblair
11-24-2012, 03:34 AM
I didnt know that about the apps. The IOS one definatley looks a little more polished than the android, as i have both. Yeah from what ive read these telus modem/routers are a pain in the a**. But to know it can be done, maybe with some outside help, it will definatley be worth it for the piece of mind you get from being able to watch your tank while your away. I think i will be ordering the apex in a couple weeks. I appreciate all the responses guys.

scubadawg
11-24-2012, 06:45 AM
The best thing to do is get rid of the Siemens POS from Telus, get a normal DSL modem from Telus, buy yourself a descent wireless router, get a Static IP address from Telus and do a proper port forward.

lastlight
11-24-2012, 07:05 AM
I disabled the wireless on my router from Telus (not sure offhand which model) and have it connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. Does that help the situation any?

I've never really looked at my IP over a period of time... would mine by dynamic by default?

cblair
11-24-2012, 08:04 AM
I have just been reading about disabling the wireless on the telus router so it acts as just a modem, then using a better router and a wireless access point near where my tank is. Sounds like that could work but ill try to setup with the Siemens modem first too see if its a hassle.

Is it possible to request just a stand alone modem from telus to get rid of the Siemens?

PoonTang
11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I used the gigaset unit for a couple of years and access the apex with my iPhone. No problems.

Psyire
11-24-2012, 10:19 PM
You can't get a static IP from Telus unless you fork out $$$$. The siemens does work but you have to run your webserver on a different port ie. 8080. If you want to connect from 'outside' your network ie. the internet you'll have to run some sort of dynamic ip software on a home computer. If you don't you might not always be able to connect to your apex if your outside ip address happens to change. You also don't 'need' an app as you can just connect through a browser like chrome.

cblair
11-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Excellent, glad to hear some guys are having success with this router. I believe the Siemens router is capable of recognizing some ddns clients so hopefully I won't need to keep a computer on 24/7. I plan on signing up for a service like dyndns. But I'll try to figure it out. I'm fairly new to this networking stuff. I just downloaded the unofficial apex guide so I will study it.

PoonTang
11-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Excellent, glad to hear some guys are having success with this router. I believe the Siemens router is capable of recognizing some ddns clients so hopefully I won't need to keep a computer on 24/7. I plan on signing up for a service like dyndns. But I'll try to figure it out. I'm fairly new to this networking stuff. I just downloaded the unofficial apex guide so I will study it.

I use the dyndns service for mine. The Unofficial guide is the ONLY way to go :biggrin:

cblair
11-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Yeah ive been reading through it and wow theres alot of information in it. Very well put together and easy to read. The apex sounds like an awesome piece of equipment :biggrin:

Psyire
11-26-2012, 02:36 AM
It's actually the 'official' guide now..