PDA

View Full Version : converting PC to VHO

Willito
04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Currently I am running a 220W Workhorse ballast with 2x96W actinic PC . I don't like the shade of blue nor the intensity that it is producing and comtemplating of switching over to URI VHO actinic. I heard a lot of good reviews about the Super Actinic R, could anyone elaborate on the quality/color of these bulbs.

My second question, is it possible to convert my 220W workhorse ballast(currently 2x96w PC) to run 2x96 VHO flouresent? If so, would anyone know how to wire this set-up?

thanks
Willi

Old Guy
04-28-2004, 08:25 PM
I have 2x95 watt vho running off the workhorse 7. Join 2 red wires to one and run to end of each bulb. Run the yellow to the other ends and your set to go. I like the uri.

Jeff

Willito
04-28-2004, 09:58 PM
I have 2x95 watt vho running off the workhorse 7. Join 2 red wires to one and run to end of each bulb. Run the yellow to the other ends and your set to go. I like the uri.

Jeff

thanks Jeff,
Will give that a try.

Willito
04-29-2004, 02:37 PM

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Just a quick question, what do you think about this statement and is it true?
Just keep in Mind, Fulham does not recommend wiring more than one VHO per Ballast, Many do it with no issues.. A couple have done it and had serious issues ( melting Endcaps and fires ) keep it in mind.. and keep LOTS of ventalation to keep the endcaps cooler ..

Will

Old Guy
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I've had no issues with mine running the way I wired it but I know that Brad had a meltdown. I'm not sure if his was wired the same or not.

There also may be a difference between trying to run 2x 110w compared to 2x95w. I don't know for sure. Maybe somebody can chirp in on this.

Mine is also in a canopy with an Icecap fan running and may just have enough air blowing around to keep the caps cool.

The ballast gets hot also so I have it raised off the back of my canopy with some noodles left over from my freshie with eheim days.

I don't recall how long ago that I set the lights up but it's been awhile.

Jeff

Buccaneer
04-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I think it has more to do with the IceCap endcaps trapping the heat of the VHO and less to do with the ballast itself ... I have VHO's and one of my endcaps showed signs of melting and as a result I have not run them in a little while ... regular " tombstones " endcaps would prolly be fine with any ballast as they are open to dissapate the heat.

Cheers