PDA

View Full Version : LF Live food.

Jeff000
11-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Looking for live Mysis, Brine, etc. asap in Edmonton area. Bought some seahorses from Aquagiant. Usually I don't buy anything but aqua cultured but these were to good to pass up. Today I fed them ghost shrimp but even the smallest shrimp in the pet store is still quite big for them. If you have some let me know

Proteus
11-23-2012, 03:35 AM
is the frozen mysis cubes from MA to big for them. i find there too small for my fish

if there taking frozen

rayjay
11-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Almost all (probably 99%) seahorses coming to North America have been trained to eat frozen foods, primarily Hikari mysis. Reputable stores wouldn't sell seahorses that are too small to eat frozen Hikari mysis.
What did you mean by "too good to pass up"?
What species are they and how large are they? What are you keeping them in and how many?

Mike-fish
11-23-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm having good success hatching brine shrimp in a peanut butter jar with a large bubble disc ( making huge bubbles) big Al's has the brine shrimp eggs for sale they hatch in about 48hours then just fatten them up to the desired size and let the frenzy begin. If you need some in short order I could give you some I have a large batch at the moment ready to feed to the fish. pickup only I'm about 20min east of Edmonton shot me a pm if interested

Jeff000
11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replies. The seahroses are housed in a 65 gallon tank with pipefish. I have had seahorses for about a year now. I had 4 Kudas until a couple of days. The seahorses I bought are Barbouri. They were listed as fancy seahorses but I know a barbouri when I see one and I also know I may never see one again. They are quite large, actually the biggest horses in my tank and should have no problem eating all frozen foods that I have. They are absolutly one hundred percent not interested in frozen. I bought them small ghost shrimp yesterday at petsmart and they loved it, so I know that they do want to eat they just are not trained on frozen. While I train them on frozen I need live food asap. I have brine shrimp eggs and usually I have some live food kicking around but not right now and judging by the looks of their stomachs I don't have the time to hatch and fatten up brine.

I've attached a picture so you can see the striped snout and already sprouting barbs. And yes this horse is missing an eye. Doesn't seem to bother him though.

rayjay
11-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I wish you luck.
Mixing species of syngnathids is a crapshoot as they often expose pathogens to one another that they haven't grown up with and end up succumbing to them,
especially with pipe fish.

Mike-fish
11-23-2012, 08:44 PM
let me know if you want some brines that are ready to go