PDA

View Full Version : Any of you work up north out of camps?

Jeff000
11-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I've been thinking about working up north for a while to make some extra money and maybe learn a little bit.

But having only ever worked in town it's a bit daunting, as I have no idea what to expect.

I have a job lined up, would be working out of a camp, 10 in and 4 out.
I mean I know they provide food, but do they make lunches too?

Hope it isn't cold as hell.

PS, I am a jman sparky.

Dearth
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Generally speaking If you work a camp job all meals are supplied depending on company it's either free or paid by you at cost if your not sure contact the company they will tell you

Ross
11-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Some camp kitchens are remarkable at what they prepare.
My sister in law gets a highly modified meal plan and they are more than happy to prepare something not served out of a huge tray.
But this is HIGHLY dependent on the camp.

One thing to think of is you will loose half a day commuting to and from the camp on your days off.

What plant / camp are you looking at going to?

Dearth
11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I spent 15 yrs working as a forest fire fighter here in BC so that meant spending a lot of time in camps and as Ross stated food in camps is excellent even better than home cooked in many cases. Most camps have a games and rec room some will have gyms and some camps you can have a tv in your room(bonus). It is important to note however almost all camps are dry camps meaning no alcohol or drugs allowed in camp. If caught with either you can potentially be banished from the camp and depending on what you had the RCMP can be called as well.

Jeff000
11-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure the camp, I should ask though.
It's a suncor site.

I should ask about the room too, private or not, showers, Internet, tv etc.

Being dry is fine with me, never done drugs, and almost never drink.

Fly me in and fly me out.

I have a huge selection of tools too, I should ask what's needed. Hopefully theft isn't a problem.

Madreefer
11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Dearth the camps in Alberta for the tar sands are quite a bit different than the welfare camps we have here in the forest industry. Stayed in a few camps in FTMac and there was a Tim Hortons, bar, gym, ball diamond etc. Everything to try to get the guys to stay as most were from back east. Most guys liked the food but i'm somewhat high maintenance and really like my food so I thought it sucked. They didnt use alot of spices they said due to different allergies of the residents. They have an area set up so you can make your own lunch. The security at camp was like jail and your on camera everywhere you go. The newer camps rooms you usually share a bathroom with the next room over,tv in your room as well as internet service. For me any camp sucks, but i'm old and I prefer to live in with my wife in my own home rather than visiting her every 21 days which was my shift.