PDA

View Full Version : HRV systems in Calgary?

Midway
11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi there, sorry if this post does not go here.

I'm trying to find out if someone here in Calgary has installed one of these units in their home to fight humidity. I've read a lot of posts here about it and I think that's what I need installed in my home. Right now I have a dehumidifier going 100% in my home due to high humidity cause by the fish tanks we have. Those dehumidifiers are not cheap run as some of you know, and its not getting rid of all the humidity in all the house even though its a strong one.

Anybody knows here where in Calgary where I could find someone or a company that deals with these units?

Thanks very much for your help.

kien
11-22-2012, 02:19 PM
I got one installed a couple of years ago. LOVE IT. Best equipment purchase I ever made. And yes, aside from the fresh air that it brings into your house it has the dehumidifying effect. My windows used to be quite sweaty. Winters were bad cuz that sweat would freeze on the windows. Anyway, I got my unit installed by AirPro in Calgary. Love those guys. Got them to install a new AC unit this past summer too.

daplatapus
11-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I've installed many HRV's in my work. And while they do help cut down on humidity, that function really is only a byproduct of it's main function and will not always be effective at removing humidity. Basically a HRV draws air from outside, passes that air through a heat exchanger, then distributes that now warmer air to the home. At the same time, another fan draws air from your home, passes that air through the other side of the heat exchanger, and exhausts it outside. So what you are really accomplishing is preheating cold air from outside with your exhaust air from inside.
Warm moist air from inside your house condensates in the heat exchanger that is made cool from the incoming air from outside and in effect de-humidifies your inside air. But you're exhausting that air anyway so in effect an exhaust fan will do the same thing, but the HRV re-captures the heat you spent money on to produce by your heating system.
The less temperature difference between your inside and outside temp, the less de-humidifying you'll see.

I hope that makes sense. If not, ask away and I can try to answer you.
FYI here's a quick pic of an HRV to show the heat exchanger. The air from inside your home and outsde never actually mix, they just pass by one another in the heat exchanger.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/0M/tb_0010hihwab-1-md.jpg

globaldesigns
11-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I also have one installed, 2 or more years now... It does help! Just make sure the one you buy can handle the square footage of your home. I don't get ice build up on windows anymore and the house is much more comfortable.

Coleus
11-22-2012, 03:43 PM
+1 for it, even if i don't have a fish tank, i still get one for my house for the comfort. And it really awesome to see over 30 ppl in my house for party and window does not fog up at all. Mine was installed by Warren at BMS heating, best price in town and very clean install. Very happy with mine

Delphinus
11-22-2012, 04:16 PM
+1 have had one now for a few years and yes it makes a HUGE difference. I too went with AirPro Heating and would recommend them to anyone.

Midway
11-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Good to have options. I'll check those places out for sure!

michika
11-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm putting one in for my tank.

gridley
11-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Interesting discussion as I was about to go looking for a dehumidifyer . . . Does anyone know what kind of price range these units are?

DiverDude
11-22-2012, 10:26 PM
So what's the control element on one of these units ? Temperature ? Does it run continuously or only when the furnace kicks in ?

Are they typically a whole home solutuion or do some people use these just on problem areas (fish room, bathrooms)

mseepman
11-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I've put one in my new house. They are typically a whole home solution with the main part of the draw coming from the "wettest" part of the house. Bathrooms, fishrooms, etc. I have mine drawing from within my fish tank canopy and from my fishroom. It then deposits the fresh air about 10ft from my display in the center of the house. I have one with a variable fan that can run from 60cfm all the way to 150cfm. The higher the speed, the more likely that it's noisy. I ran extra large piping through the house to avoid the noise.

Delphinus
11-22-2012, 10:46 PM
So what's the control element on one of these units ? Temperature ? Does it run continuously or only when the furnace kicks in ?

Are they typically a whole home solutuion or do some people use these just on problem areas (fish room, bathrooms)

Dehumidistat and I have mine run 20 on / 40 off but I can also have it turn on manually if I need to (if we cook something stinky we can set an additional timer switch to 20, 40, or 60 minutes to destinkify the house). I have 4 vents come off mine, 2 of which service the tank room, 1 for the basement, and 1 that ties into the main furnace lines to service the whole house.

You could run it just to a tank room if you wanted but there are benefits to having the whole house serviced by it.

molotov
11-23-2012, 02:17 AM
I also want to purchase a HRV. Does anyone know who sells/installs the Lifebreath make?