PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Alpha skimmer overflow

bkelly
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi My Vertex alpha 200 skimmer is skimming really wet and the cup constantly fills to overflow daily. It hadnt before but recently I cleaned out my sump return pump ( Reeflow Tarrapon) and increased the return line diameter, the tank is turning over way quicker now much more flow , the pump was a bit plugged on cleaning. Would the higher flow through the sump cause my skimmer to do that . My sump level is a bit higher but not much - maybe 1 cm up in depth from where it was. Although the skimmer is fussy that way.
Thanks for any help
Brent

windcoast reefs
11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I would try raising the skimmer up, it helped my skimmer which did that.

Stones
11-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Is your outflow valve all the way open? In my old sump, I couldn't raise the skimmer due to the height of my stand being too short so instead I raised the red tube in the outflow up above the white pvc "T" and then locked it in place with the set screw. This basically allowed more water to flow through the outflow faster which lowered the height of the foam column in the skimmer.

Worth a try and alot faster than building a stand to elevate your skimmer.

I noticed these skimmers are prone to overflow quite rapidly after a power outage as well due to being extremely sensitive to the height of the water columnn in the sump. I also installed a float valve in the sump and another in the collection cup to kill power to the skimmer in the even that the sump level gets too high or if the collection cup gets 3/4 full. Was probably the best little upgrade I've ever made to my system.

bkelly
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
thanks I think raising the red tube is it, I had been setting it fully down as I was finding I had to turn the tube counterclockwise so much it was stretching the air line to the pump. So i just set the tube higher now. Thank you!

I had my skimmer elevated in the sump but im limited to height from the stand .

Brent

jagermaier
11-22-2012, 12:52 AM
I find that my Alpha cone 200 works best at 9 1/2 inches of water depth as well I find on the Red Dragon pump the nozzle should be dialed no more than one full turn out. If the water level is too high, it causes wet skimming IME