PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer Install

mikeclarke
11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
I just got a Coralife 36W UV Sterilizer. The store suggested that I hook it up directly to my display tank to get better throughput and not through the sump. I have a 100gal display and a 50gal sump. The installation manual says I should prefilter the water going into the UV Sterilizer (ie sump water).

What should I do?

mikeclarke
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
No suggestions?

windcoast reefs
11-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I put mine on the display when I use it, strictly because of a lack of space in the sump. I'm not really sure why you would need to pre filter the water. I would just put it up on the display.

Coleus
11-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I just got a Coralife 36W UV Sterilizer. The store suggested that I hook it up directly to my display tank to get better throughput and not through the sump. I have a 100gal display and a 50gal sump. The installation manual says I should prefilter the water going into the UV Sterilizer (ie sump water).

What should I do?

I am kind of confuse about the what the store suggested. I dont think it is make any different if you put in display or sum tank because you have to feed UV with a pump anyway. I think the manual suggest you to feed water after the skimmer so that the water is somewhat cleaner get through the UV. Although i can see it help but not really important.

What i did before was feeding the water come out of my skimmer into the UV and then out to area where return pump is.

Hope that helps.

Chief Hill
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I run a 55 watt on my pond and am very familiar with these.
Running a uv before filtration may simply take the water a little longer to sterilize. However in our tanks the water is pretty clean already. Either way will be fine. Before filter or after. If your running it from the sump as the last stage before returning to the DT that's even better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

mikeclarke
11-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Basically what the store was saying is to run it through the display tank and not the sump because you will cycled the display tank more often than if you do it in the sump. The sump water would end up being more UVed and the UVed exchange would only occur as often as the return pump cycles.

For a return pump, I have a Gen-X PCX40 in the basement and the max flow is 1190gph. I raise the water about 10 feet so I probably only get 800 gph.

Thoughts? I am leaning on running it in my sump (in the basement) as the QuietOne 1200 pump only does 290gph at 0' head and this is less than the 800 gph that the return pump does.

Chief Hill
11-23-2012, 10:10 PM
So your getting an 8x turnover in your dt from your sump.
Having the uv in your sump and returning that water into your dt 8x will still be good. Your going to be equal with uv sterilization to your dt and sump. Remember I'm using 55 watt on 3000 gallons in 100 percent sun. And it's more than efficient.
Try and you'll see. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2