PDA

View Full Version : crab i.d.

Tanman
04-27-2004, 07:37 AM
in the photo gallery under critters i have posted 2 pics of the same crab in question. i have noticed it about a month ago, and i'm wondering if any one knows if its a bad thing or is it just a crab? any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

alex

Quinn
04-27-2004, 08:01 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/950crab_004.jpg?8123

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/950crab_005.jpg?2167

Jason McK
04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Looks like a red eyed rock crab. Considered Bad in a Reef.

J

Jim Barry
04-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Looks like a red eyed rock crab. Considered Bad in a Reef.

J

I found one of those in my tank a few weeks ago. Why are they bad for a reef tank?

Jason McK
04-27-2004, 08:37 PM
They will grow quite fast.
I have always thought that you have to look at the claws. If the claws are sharp and pointy they are used to rip meat. Like fish or others. If the claws are flat like the Emerald Crab they are used to pick through rocks for Valonia and what not.
So I have always thought point bad Flat good

J

Quinn
04-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Lots of people have had emerald crabs go bad on them. I would be vigilant with any crab. If you have easy access to this one, I would remove it to your or someone else's sump just to be safe. Lots of people are interested in sump crabs.

Tanman
04-28-2004, 12:26 AM
thanks guys.

it has grown a little since i first noticed it, so fast growing it is!

how would i go about catching it? it lives in a big rock that has pulsing xenia, mushrooms as well. i don't really want to move the rock out of my tank.

also....quin how did you get my picks to show up in this section?

thanks again

alex

Quinn
04-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Bev in Edmonton and others have had success using traps. I've never managed to catch a crab so I don't know the best way... maybe wait until he's in an ideal position and crab him with tweezers. I nearly got one that way once.

As for linking pictures, get the absolute URL of the image and place it between URL tags, for example absolute image URL .

Tanman
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
quin,

i tried to post a pic but i guess my computer illiteracy has gotten the best of me.
can you please show me how you got mine to show up?
what do you use between the url's and do you add a url before the one in brackets, like you showed previously?

oh and the crab looks like it is in a hole smaller than it. but if i'm trying to remove it i guess it doesn't really matter if i hurt it?

what kind of trap did bev use? and what did she bait it with?
i guess it's kinda cool seeing new things pop up like that?!

thanks
alex