PDA

View Full Version : eBay Metal Halide bulbs

Werbo
11-17-2012, 05:13 AM
Anybody ordered MH bulbs off eBay recently.

Currently using 250W DE Phoenix 14000K and very happy with the color spectrum. But does anybody know of a cheaper alternative on eBay?

Please provide a link ...

Thanks

The Grizz
11-17-2012, 05:20 AM
This has been discussed lots, do a search & you should find lots of info. I will see if I can find it as well.

Here's the link to other thread, states the seller store name. You should be able to find it.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79160&highlight=ebay+MH

kien
11-17-2012, 05:30 AM
I've been using eBay builds for a couple of bulb changes now. I ordered from two different eBay vendors but the builbs were virtually identical. They were marketed as 15K aquarium DE halide bulbs.

Pros.

Cheap. I ordered 3 bulbs for the cost of one Phoenix bulb.

Cons.

1. Colour temp isn't quite what is advertised. It is more like a 12-14K bulb.
2. They seem to colour shift sooner than brand name bulbs. I changed mine out at 8 or 9 months instead of 12 like I did with Phoenix bulbs.

Anyway, that's my take on them :-)

The Grizz
11-17-2012, 05:33 AM
^^ Hey MR. Are you stalking me or what :twised:

Werbo
11-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks Kien. So they weren't as blue as the Phoenix bulbs?

The Grizz
11-17-2012, 05:36 AM
I heard the same thing so when I did my first order I wanted 15k but ordered a little higher k bulb for that fact.

Werbo
11-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Hobby Lights Oneshop 250w DE start at $60. I am I missing something?

The Grizz
11-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes you are!! If you actually open up the page you will see the pull down menu that says 1, 2, or 3 pieces. It's $60 for 3 bulbs and free shipping now to boot.

daniella3d
11-17-2012, 12:32 PM
It's really not cheaper at then end because they shift in spectrum and color rather quickly. I also use Pheonix 14k now and before that I was using the ebay bulb but I was not happy with them for long. I had to replace them every 6 months and after 3 months they were getting yellow so I was not happy with the color half of the time.

I will keep on with the Phoenix from now on and not return to the cheapo bulb.

I have tried a bunch of them. I remember the Artemis but can't remember what was the brand of the others I tried but they were all the same for results. My phoenix is currently one year old and I do not plan to replace it before another 6 months as it is still going strong and beautiful. At the end the cost is pretty much equivalent.

Anybody ordered MH bulbs off eBay recently.

Currently using 250W DE Phoenix 14000K and very happy with the color spectrum. But does anybody know of a cheaper alternative on eBay?

Please provide a link ...

Thanks

kien
11-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks Kien. So they weren't as blue as the Phoenix bulbs?

No they definitely were not as blue. If that's a problem for you then I wouldn't get them. I supplement my halides with 22K t5s so this wasn't a problem for me really.

christyf5
11-17-2012, 04:10 PM
It's really not cheaper at then end because they shift in spectrum and color rather quickly. I also use Pheonix 14k now and before that I was using the ebay bulb but I was not happy with them for long. I had to replace them every 6 months and after 3 months they were getting yellow so I was not happy with the color half of the time.

I will keep on with the Phoenix from now on and not return to the cheapo bulb.

I have tried a bunch of them. I remember the Artemis but can't remember what was the brand of the others I tried but they were all the same for results. My phoenix is currently one year old and I do not plan to replace it before another 6 months as it is still going strong and beautiful. At the end the cost is pretty much equivalent.

The last time I bought these bulbs, I didn't like the color (I'm not a fan of the blue) however if I had, I paid $40 for them and I would have gotten at least 3-6 months out of them. Currently I change my ushio bulbs out yearly at over $300. Even if I replace the ebay bulbs 4x a year I'm still only paying $160. Seems like a deal to me. They were the Artemis ones. I think I'll try them again only the 10k this time instead of the 14K as I no longer have a source for my Ushios anyways with OA closed :(

Werbo
11-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies

I love the blue of the Phoenix. What specific bulb (250W DE) should I try from Hobbylights?

Aquattro
11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Tyler, just buy LED and stop worrying about bulbs. :razz:

Werbo
11-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Brad - Now that you jump off someone has to drive the MH bandwagon.

LED's are coming in the summer but I need the MH's to heat the house in the winter :)

Aquattro
11-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Brad - Now that you jump off someone has to drive the MH bandwagon.

LED's are coming in the summer but I need the MH's to heat the house in the winter :)

That's a good plan. And for the record, I'm not off the wagon, I've got a bright shiny 400w radium over my frags :)

Werbo
01-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Update.

I received my lights from hobbyshop and I am very happy. Free shipping and great packaging.

I got the 250w DE 14k Artemis bulbs to replace my old Phoenix 14 k bulbs. IMO the colour is identica to the Phoenix bulbl. I was worried that one of the new bulbs would be a slightly different kelvin but they are a perfect colour match.

I could not happier.