PDA

View Full Version : Want to add another temp probe to my Apex

Reef Pilot
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a standard Apex along with an EB8 and I/O Breakout Box. It came with one temp probe, and as I understand it, I cannot add a second to this system without buying an expansion module. Is this correct?

My options then are to add a PM module which costs around 90 bucks, or a Jr Apex for about $150 (which includes the temp probe). But the latter would also give me 4 extra outlets and maybe stave off having to buy a 2nd EB8 in the future.

I have 2 tanks, which is why I want a 2nd temp probe. Too bad the standard base Apex doesn't have a 2nd temp input port like with PH.

Am I missing something? Are there better options?

Reef Pilot
11-17-2012, 02:42 PM
No comments?? Is the Jr Apex (without a display module) my best option?

lockrookie
11-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I think if you add a module to the system that has a temp probe hookup as well you may be able to do what you like. For example another power bar. The best ppl to ask would be Neptune themselves but I'm sure it can be done

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

scherzo
11-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I have a standard Apex along with an EB8 and I/O Breakout Box. It came with one temp probe, and as I understand it, I cannot add a second to this system without buying an expansion module. Is this correct?

My options then are to add a PM module which costs around 90 bucks, or a Jr Apex for about $150 (which includes the temp probe). But the latter would also give me 4 extra outlets and maybe stave off having to buy a 2nd EB8 in the future.

I have 2 tanks, which is why I want a 2nd temp probe. Too bad the standard base Apex doesn't have a 2nd temp input port like with PH.

Am I missing something? Are there better options?

Where can you find an Apex Jr for $150! I thought they went for about $240.

A PM1 is about $90 and a probe for $40 is $130.
So from a financial standpoint the PM1 and temp probe is cheaper.
** Also .. one IP address for both tanks rather than having to log into two places to check both tanks.

You could also get a PM2 instead of a PM1 and have the possibility of monitoring salinity in the future if you don't really need another PH or ORP port.

Now if you really wanted the 4 power ports then get the JR. It is just more money.

Reef Pilot
11-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Where can you find an Apex Jr for $150! I thought they went for about $240.

Here is one example. There are quite a few actually.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Neptune_Systems_AquaController_Apex_Jr_w_Temperatu re_Probe_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltw ater_Aquariums-Neptune_Systems-NS1311-FITEMOMI-vi.html

subman
11-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I bought one from modular led for $150

Reef Pilot
11-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I think if you add a module to the system that has a temp probe hookup as well you may be able to do what you like. For example another power bar. The best ppl to ask would be Neptune themselves but I'm sure it can be done

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Yeah, would be good if the power bar (EB8) would have a temp probe port, but it doesn't. I've researched the the Neptune site and others, and still seems like the Apex Jr is my best option, given price, and 4 extra outlets.

The only thing I don't like about it is having 2 separate devices to setup/monitor with 2 IP addresses and different ports. Would be nice if you could hook them together somehow, and have the outlets of the Jr accessible by the base controller and vice versa.

We have Black Friday coming up in the US, so will be watching for some deals. I live 20 minutes from the border, so that is an easy option for me.

scherzo
11-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Ah right. I forgot they now have one without the display.