PDA

View Full Version : Zaire Buescheri - Tanganyikan Cichlid

Cap'n
04-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Anybody have experience raising these little terrors?

Cpt

danny zubot
04-29-2004, 08:22 PM
I've kept all kinds od african cichlids, what do you want to know?

Cap'n
04-30-2004, 02:51 AM
I have a group of 3 juveniles that I hope to breed. Just wanted to know how others have had buescheri tanks setup - tankmates, most successful aquascapes, general experiences, etc. I have bred convicts before but no cichlids this small or agressive.
I've gone through all the info I can find on the web, always seems nicer hearing it from real people though.

danny zubot
04-30-2004, 02:46 PM
In all my cichlid tanks I kept a fairly deep substrate of smaller sized gravel and large rocks that aren't easliy moved around(becaus they will try) and theres not a whole lot more to it. If you want to induce breeding try lowering your temp for a a few weeks, then raise it suddenly(sometimes a water change at the same time works too) Our water here in Calgary is literaly identical to that of the rift lakes in Africa so its hard to keep these guys from breeding once you figure out the tricks. I've bread Pseudotropheus crabro, zebroids, jewels, jack dempsies and mbambas. Try finding a synodontis multipunctatus(multispot catfish) breeding pair. They are quite rare as they are relativley new from Tanganyika but they are very cool to brees. They are are parasitic breeder, they will actually interupt your cichlids while they breed and exchange eggs in the middle of it. Your cichlids will mouth brood another species without even knowing it. Anyway, just some food for thought.

Later!