PDA

View Full Version : LF: feeder shrimp in Calgary

Seth81
11-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I recently purchased a marine betta, and he hasn't been eating anything, so does anyone know where I can buy some marine ghost shrimp? or small inexpensive feeder shrimp for him in Calgary? I think BW in Edmonton has em...

I've seen some fresh water ghost shrimp at petland, but I've been told fresh water ghost shrimp are a different species then marine, and will not survive more than 10 min before dying.

kdpuffer
11-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Why not just get the freshwater ones? They are to be eaten so I don't see an issue. Maybe just try one and see if it works.

Seth81
11-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Why not just get the freshwater ones? They are to be eaten so I don't see an issue. Maybe just try one and see if it works.

Well the issue is that the betta may not eat it right away, and I don't think it would eat a dead shrimp

sphelps
11-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Freshwater should work fine for feeders, it's what I've always used, not aware of any inexpensive marine shrimp that could be used for feeding. Petsmart is the best place, 99c a shrimp but stock is usually limited so it helps to phone around first.

Seth81
11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Freshwater should work fine for feeders, it's what I've always used, not aware of any inexpensive marine shrimp that could be used for feeding. Petsmart is the best place, 99c a shrimp but stock is usually limited so it helps to phone around first.

How long do they last before they die? Have you tried to acclimate them ?

sphelps
11-13-2012, 05:21 PM
How long do they last before they die? Have you tried to acclimate them ?

Not sure, 20min maybe. Never acclimated them before. The fish always ate them right away for the most part. I usually grab the shrimp with tongs and hold in front of fish, sometimes at first I release the shrimp from the tongs once the fish shows interest as they won't always eat straight off the tongs at first. It's also best to have a smaller QT or small tank available for training fish that require live food. Dumping live shrimp into an established reef tank will never work, you need an empty holding tank for training these fish to eat frozen prior to introducing them to an established reef.