PDA

View Full Version : Lifereef Overflow Boxes - Are they really all they're cracked up to be?

mandyplo
11-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I am adding a sump to my system - need to buy an overflow box for my tank.

I have heard nothing but good things about these lifereef overflow boxes, and their website claims "never had a fail in 24 years" etc etc. Are these things really flood proof? Will they really continue siphon every time the power goes out/on? Are they really "self-governing" and you don't have to match a return pump gph to the overflow box gph?

I'm just skeptical! it sounds too good to be true, and I'm sure I'm not the only one whos thinking that with my luck I would be the one to have this thing fail for the first time in 24 years!

I want to believe its true, tell me your experiences!

Thanks in advance - Mandy.

Borderjumper
11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I ran one for a couple of years on an undrilled tank I never had a fail, or any problem with it. The U tubes are kinda fragile so order an extra one of those in case you break one... They do have to be cleaned every so often.

don.ald
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I ran one for a couple of years on an undrilled tank I never had a fail, or any problem with it. The U tubes are kinda fragile so order an extra one of those in case you break one... They do have to be cleaned every so often.

And when she was finished with it I ran it for yet another couple of years!
Still have it, and use it once in awhile if I need t add a tank or bucket to the system for any reason.

I have also run CPR and other custom made overflows without issues.

But the life reef was the easiest and simplest to run.

mandyplo
11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Alright, I'm sold I'll buy it tonight!