PDA

View Full Version : Apex & Telus DSL

Psyire
11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm just curious if anybody has had any luck gaining access to their Neptune Apex from outside of their home network with Telus as a provider? I'm particularly interested in people's experience with the Telus DSL Siemens router settings... I can't get a connection no matter what settings I try to change.. (ie. port forwarding/dmz/packet routing/etc)

Northernseacorals
11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm just curious if anybody has had any luck gaining access to their Neptune Apex from outside of their home network with Telus as a provider? I'm particularly interested in people's experience with the Telus DSL Siemens router settings... I can't get a connection no matter what settings I try to change.. (ie. port forwarding/dmz/packet routing/etc)

If you have a normal home connection there is a good chance your IP address can be rotating, if this happens you will have traffic routing issues while trying to tunnel back into your home.

This can happen if your Telus router has the power cycled, it can acquire a different address; or if the IP range you are on is being shared by another Telus customer, and they are drawing on the bandwidth to much; Telus will send a signal to renew the IP's on your entire block automatically, Telus uses this technique to stop people from using large amounts of torrent and p2p data.

You can get around this by installing a VNC client ( similar to remote desktop ) or if you own a mac with an Apple router, simply turn on the ( back to me ) feature with the airport utility; if you are on a windows based system, you can installed a VNC client that will automatically update your IP configuration on the fly.

This product for Windows is free https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ and it will tunnel you to your home computer; from there you can launch a browser and check your Apex.

Another option is to pay Telus for a static IP address, sometimes this is not available to home users, you will have to ask.

Psyire
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Using VNC would definately be an option.. I can't get it to work just using IP addresses though.. it's almost like Telus is blocking incoming HTTP requests? I've tried port 80 as well as others.. I was hoping somebody else had success using some other method. If not, then you are right and VNC is probably my best bet.

Psyire
11-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh and VNC is also last resort because it requires me to leave a computer on 24/7 ..

Northernseacorals
11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh and VNC is also last resort because it requires me to leave a computer on 24/7 ..

Yes that is defiantly the down side, I personally use a netbook I picked up from ebay for $80, it has XP pro on it and makes a perfect vnc server, and it basically runs on nothing for power.

Just a thought.

FragIt Dan
11-13-2012, 02:29 AM
I have made it work with TELUS. The issue for me, once everything was setup, was http port 80 which TELUS blocks along with several others that are suitable replacements. I eventually got 5900 to work and am not using any VNC. If you can't get it to work, PM me and I'll get you my number and see if I can walk you through it. Apex has recently released an updated user manual combining their old one with the unofficial one. I assume you have worked through all the port forwarding and other configuration all stuff?

TTT
11-13-2012, 02:55 AM
If you are using the Siemens SE567 router than I think you are out of luck. I had the same router when I bought myself some DLink cameras that I wanted to setup and login to my network from my iPhone. The port forwarding is there but doesn't actually work. Telus blocks some features of that router because they installed their own firmware. I eventually asked for a new different router and now I have no problems. Everything worked out of the box for accessing my home network.

There are a lot of complaints in forums if you search the Siemens SE567 router.

fencer
11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Anybody have any luck using a network bridge on the apex. My net connection is not close to the apex

Whiston
01-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Anybody have any luck using a network bridge on the apex. My net connection is not close to the apex

I don't know if you found a solution yet, but I had a hell of a time finding a network adapter recently. Everything is USB adapters these days.

Anyways, this is the only one I managed to find, works great and should be at any Staples.

IOGear adapter ( www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=66%2C4394,4398&webid=697359&affixedcode=WW )

FragIt Dan
01-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Hmmm, been troubleshooting a linksys wireless bridge I just got a few days ago for just this purpose, will update if I get a resolution,
Dan

PoonTang
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I had mine working on a Siemens 567 no problem. I used a wireless gaming adaptor and DYNdns to make my IP address static. I could never get port 80 to work and wound up using 85 for a couple years then more recently 1515. If you follow the online guide that reeftronics wrote you shouldn't have any troubles.