PDA

View Full Version : Do you need Reactors to have a successful reef tank?

Fish R Friends , Not Food
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
My reef tank has been doing fine for the past 6 months and I haven't used any reactors, with plans of going all out on my future 150 gallon reef I want to know what every bodies thoughts were

reefwars
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
uh oh

:nono:

Proteus
11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I used reactors on my big tank but now I am us ring media bags just in sump. IMO reactors are better as they agitate the media rather than a bag in which fluid will take the easiest route through or around. I do plan on buying a new reactor for gfo. But carbon ill leave in the bag.

11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks !

Aquattro
11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
What type of reactors are you thinking? I run a Ca reactor, a Zeo reactor, but not a GAC reactor nor any other type.

subman
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I run GFO and carbon in reactors just because it keeps my sump nice and neat.

11-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Was thinking a ca reactor but can someone explain to me why they are needed

11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
What's a Zeo or gac

daplatapus
11-13-2012, 04:42 AM
I was dosing calcium, alk and magnesium manually. A calcium reactor basically slowly dissolves coral skeletons and re-introduces that Calcium and alk back into the system. I set mine up back in Aug. and I've never looked back. Way easier than manual or individual dosing and far better stability because it adds these elements 24/7

whatcaneyedo
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
To be honest I'm not entirely sure what Zeo is (apart from a brand name). The last time I checked they don't put their ingredients on the bottles so I won't touch it. GAC stands for Granular Activated Carbon. As far as Ca Reactors go this article should help you decide which calcium carbonate supplementing system would work best for you and your needs: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/chemistry

The options discussed are:
Limewater (aka kalkwasser), used in a reactor or not, and with vinegar or not
Calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
Calcium carbonate used without a reactor
Calcium acetate
One part inorganic salt mixtures
Two-part liquid additive systems
Water changes

Aquattro
11-13-2012, 02:24 PM
To be honest I'm not entirely sure what Zeo is (apart from a brand name).

Zeovit, the brand name, comes from the base of the system which uses zeolites, a type of rock that apparently adsorbs nutrients from the water as it's passed through the reactor. The basics of the additives feeds bacteria on the rocks.
All the other stuff with no ingredients, I just figure it's magic stuff :) I use the amino acids (smells like vitamin B) and the Coral vitalizer (smells like vinegar), as well as Zeostart, which is probably a carbon/sugar source.

11-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Yea manual dosing is to annoying thanks the website helped!