PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Corals Decap. Brine Shrimp Eggs

jords
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has/does feed their corals decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? I originally got them for the fish, since their supposed to be just as good for them as BBS. I've noticed my mushroom eating that stuff up though. Have tried to target feed it to the filter feeders (green star, leather, etc), and just last night tried to give it to my new black sun coral. I can't really tell if there is any interest from the others for it. Has anyone tried this? Should I just stick to BBS instead, or keep at it with the decapsulated eggs? I haven't seen the green star actually eat it, but when I target feed him the eggs, his "leaves" really spread out, and he's gutten a little more colourful since starting to feed them these.

jords
11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I really hate being one of "these" people. But this is just a bump.

ScubaSteve
11-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I use them in my feeding mix for my SPS/LSP tank. I only found something's took them just on their own and others didn't respond. However, if you make a good mixture that excites everyone and all the polyps open up, they'll likely catch them and eat them. The decap eggs don't have much of a "smell" to them (in that the corals don't seem to detect them), so you don't see much of a response when you try to just feed them. They're easy to feed SPS taks with at night because all the polyps are out hunting anyways.

The leather will likely catch them but I wouldn't expect the GSP to go them (they don't really actively catch prey it seems), and sun corals are picky SOBs at the best of times.

Try making a good feeding mix has all the feeds that all your corals like. Put fresh prawns, mussels, clams, oysters, mysis, and other seafood in a blender with a touch of water (not too much) and blend to a disgusting smoothie. Then add fish roe (capelin/masago), decap brine eggs, spirulina, reefroids (or similar) and some of the fauna marine products if you have them available. Give it a quick whiz to mix it all together. Then freeze it into cubes. You can find tiny ice cube trays or you can put some eggcrate on a cookie sheet to make a mold and pour it into there, then freeze it and then store it in a bag.

Feed only small amounts as its quite strong and, because it's full of lipids, it'll make your skimmer go nuts for a bit (so you might as well shut it off while feeding). You can play with the amounts of each component and don't even need to add them all. You'll eventually find a mix that your corals find irresistible. Even my more stubborn corals will come out for that mix.