PDA

View Full Version : Water flow simulator?

bigmac
11-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Is there such a thing? I'm planning out a new tank and know which pumps I'd like to use and I have a theory in my head as to how many return lines I'm using and where the bulkheads will be placed. My return pumps are adjustable flow as well. It would be great if there was a software program that I could plug all the information into and it would simulate the expected flow within the tank (and show any dead areas). Am I just dreaming at this point; or does something like this exist?

Maverick00
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Im sure there is something out there exists, but where! Id like to play around with this type of program as well.

bigmac
11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Ok; based on the non-responses; I'll assume that I'm out to lunch and this doesn't exist.
What a fantastic tool that would be though:
1. Input your internal tank dimensions (water height,etc.)
2. Input your bulkhead locations.
3. Input the gallons per hour and return line size for all the pumps (including head height).

With all that information you would get a simulation of water movement within the tank (and more importantly be able to tweak your setup or equipment before the drilling of any glass). What it wouldn't be able to take into account is live rock and the affect it has on water movement.

Oh well; I'll consult my tank builder when it's time and he'll let me know if my plumbing plan will work.

Ross
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Solidworks simulation would be able to handle that.
Unfortunately I'm without a license at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV3dcjzZXCw&feature=related

Now if your willing to fork out a few grand to help subsidize the purchase of a seat, I'll tell you anything you need to know regarding flow within the proposed tank.

mrhasan
11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Solidworks simulation would be able to handle that.
Unfortunately I'm without a license at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV3dcjzZXCw&feature=related

Now if your willing to fork out a few grand to help subsidize the purchase of a seat, I'll tell you anything you need to know regarding flow within the proposed tank.

Solidwork for flow simulation? Ah I will pass! Stick and string is a much better simulation :P

Maverick00
11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Ive played around with fluid dynamics in Lightwave but that was eons ago, not sure how accurate itd be compared to a soildworks sim.