PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Skimmer for 29g

SCUBA_STEVE
11-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey all,
Hoping you could give me some advice on whether or not a skimmer is necassary in a 29g reef with fish as well. I do not have a sump so I am limited to a hang on back if I do get one. Also if I do need one what are some brands I should look into? New to the hobby so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Proteus
11-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Lps reef you could go skimmer less. I would consider a job refuge though

Dearth
11-11-2012, 02:08 AM
A Skimmer helps remove biological matter and keeping your tank clean I use an Aqua c remora hang on skimmer and have no complaints with it and if you have rocks or decorations you can sorta hide the plumbing

Also get a skimmer that is higher rating than minimum suggested if you have a 29 gallon get one than cleans 40-60 gallons

NIVLEM09
11-11-2012, 02:28 AM
I have a CPR HOB aeroforce 2 skimmer for my 33 gallon tank.does a good job and realeses no micro-bubbles and never had any problems with it, i've had it for two years now and also have a medium CPR HOB refugium as well:lol:

mrhasan
11-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Lps reef you could go skimmer less. I would consider a job refuge though

+1. HOB refuge should be good enough for a 29g.

Even if you DO want a skimmer, HOB are very limited in terms of performance and only remora and reef octopus would be the good choices. But they don't come cheap ;) Having skimmer is always good but you can go around without one in nanos :)

Reefgoat
11-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I'd say if you are willing to do larger water changes and control your feeding you could easily have a healthy tank without a skimmer. I would add stock slowly and gradually increase feeding to give the tank time to adapt, although I suppose that's always a good idea. If you decide to go with no skimmer a HOB filter with some good quality activated carbon in it, and maybe even some GFO might be a good idea. I also use a foam filter to polish the water but you need to clean it regularly.

I like the idea of a HOB refugium as well but I don't have any personal experience with them.

stellarfly
11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
What about looking into the Hydor line. They make good skimmers for the nano world. They are an in the tank skimmer. Two models: slim skim nano and the original slim skim. They are sleek, small footprint and I hear they skim really well and release no microbubbles. Mr. saltwater tank does a great review video on this skimmer at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9dDnQbx3s

hope that helps.