PDA

View Full Version : reef angel or apex?

daniella3d
11-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I am about ready to buy a new controller. I was going to buy a Reef Angel but someone told me that I could have an Apex for around 365$ shipped that would do the same.

Now is it possible to get the Apex with these features for that price? here are the features I need:

temperature and PH probes
ATO
wifi to the iphone
8 outlet bar

for now I don't have any LED to dim.

The RA would cost me 219 + 109 for the wife module = 328$

Now how much would it cost me to do this with the Apex? I think with the Apex lite you still don't have ATO and you need to buy float switches, right?

Also you need to buy a PH probe, right?

The cheapest price I could find was over 399$ for the lite controller here in Canada and then I would need to add the breakout box (49$) for the ATO and a game adapter for the wife (50$), plus 2 float switch (20$ or more) and a ph probe (50$ or more)

That's around 570$, vs the RA would be 328$, quite a difference!

what did I miss?

Reef Pilot
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
There are some good comparisons on RF; here is just one example.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184396

I recently acquired an Apex, and can see no limit of things I can do with it, from ATO, flood prevention, etc, etc. I think that is its big advantage, being able to add modules and program it to do almost anything you want. I haven't researched the Reef Angel, but understand it is not as comprehensive and expandable.

But am curious about what you are looking for with wifi communication to your iPhone. With the Apex, it is connected to your home network and internet through your router, so works with anything that is connected to the internet and your router (incl wifi to your iPhone) . Also you can add wireless connectivity between your Apex and your router (just don't use it for firmware upgrades). Of course I am assuming you have a wifi router (who doesn't?).

daniella3d
11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I cannot connect the controller via cable as my router is on the second floor..way too far away from the aquarium, so I need wifi. Yes I want to use this for an Iphone, to monitor and maybe control.

Can I get the Apex to do what I want for less than 400$?

If I need to buy an ATO or some other module with the Apex to do the ATO then it is added cost. Do you get a PH probe with the Apex lite? or do you need to buy one?

For wifi I guess one can use a game adapter for the Apex, or the wifi module, again more cost.

There are some good comparisons on RF; here is just one example.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184396

I recently acquired an Apex, and can see no limit of things I can do with it, from ATO, flood prevention, etc, etc. I think that is its big advantage, being able to add modules and program it to do almost anything you want. I haven't researched the Reef Angel, but understand it is not as comprehensive and expandable.

But am curious about what you are looking for with wifi communication to your iPhone. With the Apex, it is connected to your home network and internet through your router, so works with anything that is connected to the internet and your router (incl wifi to your iPhone) . Also you can add wireless connectivity between your Apex and your router (just don't use it for firmware upgrades). Of course I am assuming you have a wifi router (who doesn't?).

subman
11-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm using one of these on my son's apex:
Www. dx.com/p/vap11g-ieee802-11b-g-wifi-bridge-blue-100432?item=18

Cheap and works great

Maverick00
11-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Ive had good a experiance with this wireless bridge

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Wireless-N+USB+Adapter/1002457.p;jsessionid=5096B42B46294A4BC8AD9C4E25316 6B5.bbolsp-app04-10?id=1218207316028&skuId=1002457&st=wnce2001&cp=1&lp=1

I kept losing connection on my iphone but found out it was due to the apex firmware being out of date.

lockrookie
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Just my .02 if your going with a controller there are keys things that are more important than just the cost. Yes it's always great to pinch your pennies in this hobby. But this piece of equipment is the heart of your system. You don't want to purchase something that could have a heart attack and die.

On that note I went with the apex light a bit cheaper than the full blown apex but you can add modules down the road when you have the cash to do so. Apex doesn't come with ph probe that's extra but some ppl like lab grade some standard so it gives you the choice. With my apex lite I got a display unit( keep its cord away from vacuumes) base unit eb8 powerbar and temp probe. It has hookup for 1 ph (full unit has ph and ph/orp that you can run a second ph or orp probe. I personally just saved up for the module.

In my vase I bought a slightly used apex lite and got a great deal( until the vacuums incident) but all in all j&l has bread sales sometimes and Martin sells them at a decent price as well at modular led.

I had an issue with a powerbar and Paul at Neptune took care of me with Such professionalism that amazed me even when ups ruined the return shipment he when're I've over and above to help me out. That costumer service and compassion for thier product is what will make me, from here on out, continue to purchase/ promote thier product. If you feel this other system is compatible to the apex and is more affordable with the same expandability. When you get it do a review I'd love to read up on it and will since I'm not familiar with it. Just wanted to give you my rambling thoughts on the apex which is the first and only piece of equipment I do not have buyers remorse for.

Lastly as for connecting to your router purchase a long cable just for updating firmware. If you have a loss of signal during download it would be bad. Then reconnect you wireless game module and your back in buisness

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Bryan
11-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I have both, well actually the RA is just the board as a development project. Personally I would go for the Apex. More solid and the programming language allows more control. Downside it is not open sourced like the RA so what Neptune supplies is what you get. if you enjoy tinkering, programming and DIY the RA may be a better choice. If you want it to work out of the box with little fuss then the choice is Apex.

Reef Pilot
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Can I get the Apex to do what I want for less than 400$?
No, not if you want ATO and wifi. I don't know much about the RA, but I'm sure once you start using it you'll want to do a lot more with it. I have the Breakout I/O box, and it gives you a lot more DIY capabilities.

I have my Apex controller downstairs too, from my router, but just drilled a hole and fished a network cable down and over to where I needed it. I also have a theater room down there, so used an old router as a switch so I can connect to more devices.