PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I can donate my sebae....

EmilyB
04-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Along with the library, money will also be earmarked for an aquarium facility at the Calgary Zoo, a new or expanded Science Centre and important upgrades to Heritage Park.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Rick_Bell/2004/04/22/431306.html

Quinn
04-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I know a group of reefers in New York helped their zoo set up a tank. Maybe we can help out somehow.

mnoll406
04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
I had the same idea. A while back I went to the zoo and saw the sad reef tank in the Australlian exhibit. I was going to ask the zoo if they needed some help, and also see if I could get frag donations from canreef to get their tank going. When I went back they had already started remodeling the exhibit, and no more reef tank. If they set up a aquarium hopefully they would except help from the hobbyist's. Most aquariums that I have been to don't even compare to hobbyist tanks that I have seen and kept.

Mike

danny zubot
04-26-2004, 08:53 PM
I have always thought they should set up an exhibit with aquariums from every where around the world, fresh and marine. I think they would get more support for this than they think. They would most certainly have my support!

MitchM
04-26-2004, 09:08 PM
In the meantime, if the public wants to come over here, I'll only charge $5.00 to come see my tanks. :smile:

Special price for Calgary Aquarium Club members - $10.00.

I'll even stamp the back of your hand.

Mitch :smile:

danny zubot
04-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Gee thanks! :confused:

EmilyB
04-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Well, we can forget about that I guess... :rolleyes:

Apparently they should have used the term "aquatic" and not "aquarium".

Polar bears, seals, and stuff.

danny zubot
04-30-2004, 10:19 PM
What do you mean?

AJ_77
04-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Along with the library, money will also be earmarked for an aquatic facility at the Calgary Zoo.
Something more like that... I guess they really miss the Polar Bear exhibit, as do we all.
:biggrin:

richtg
05-11-2004, 03:26 AM
I would donate, and I know they could fill a huge aquarium with donations alone.

Don E
05-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey-

Maybe I can shed some light, as a Zoo employee.

When the mayor announced the aquarium money it took everybody totally by surprise, since there were no plans (as far as any of us rank and file knew) to build an aquarium. Development plans at the zoo right now are 1) re-developing Australia-Nocturnal, opening sometime this spring or summer, 2) reopening the Northern Forest lodge that burnt down, (nearly done) 3) re-developing the Tropical Asia/Elephant building (design concept phase 4) re-developing the old conservatory (design concept) and 5) re-developing the North Gate for a big arctic and maybe antarctic exhibit, which might include marine animals. That also is in very early stages.

That being said, apparently part of the plans for the Australia- Creatures of the Night building do include a reef or some kind of tropical saltwater tank. You might remember there was a small saltwater tank in there with urchins, damsels and a few other things. They want to do something bigger. I'm not sure where those plans are at but the keeper who used to take care of that small tank is very keen on going bigger, as is the curator of live exhibits.

I think it would be very cool to have reef keepers from the community involved. We already have an infrastructure for this through our animal care volunteers program. It would be good for the zoo, as well- some of their reef keeping techniques are dated, in my opinion.

Should I investigate this further? I would be willing to facilitate the process.

don

Delphinus
05-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Should I investigate this further? I would be willing to facilitate the process.

Please do! At one of our meetings we held last year, the tank at the Australia house was a topic of discussion, and what we could do as a society to help improve things.

There is the interest in this group, we just never had an inside track at the zoo for buy-in.

danny zubot
05-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Don, you mentioned a volunteer program at the zoo. I woudl like to know more about that. I would like to become more involved with the zoo especially if they want to upgrade the Austialian reef exhibit. It would be an honor to be a part of something like that. Have you got a number or something I can call?

richtg
05-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Me too! I'm sure that with help from local reefers, the exibit will be a fine one. There are some awesome tanks in people's houses, so surely we could create an awe inspiring exhibit with relatively modest capital and donations alone. I would be honoured to help in any way I could. Danny Zubot and I have talked about this at great length in the past. Let's make this a reality! Rich T. G.

Quinn
05-12-2004, 05:43 AM
This would be a good time for the club to get organized and actually become official... we can't all seperately go running to the zoo to offer our assistance, we need to formally offer our support. We've discussed this in the past... do we have the momentum to do it now?

danny zubot
05-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm new to the forum still but if people were to set up a meeting I would mark it on my calender to attend. Say the word and I'm there.

Delphinus
05-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Ok, well, maybe it's time to hold another meeting then.

It doesn't have to be the social event that they seem to usually be, we could make it more of a "business" meeting where we can start planning out the formalizing of the club. I see Wendell has started the ball rolling again on the same thing for the Vancouver club, perhaps we can get some pointers.

richtg
05-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Maybe a meeting is in order for all those interested in persuing this matter. If we post a thread to call for support, the feasability in question might be more apparent.

Don E
05-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Hi-

Just wanted to let you know that I have made a couple of inquiries at the Zoo and will keep you posted.

don

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Awsome, I set up a pole on the Calgary home page to see what kind of reponse there would be for a reef club.

Don E
05-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Quick update- the curator involved told me she would definitely be interested in community involvement in any new reef developments. Apparently they are awaiting funding before starting on any big new reef projects but she said she would be receptive to the idea of community involvement in the form of design advice, ongoing maintenance, procuring livestock, etc. I am going to meet with her some time soon about other projects and I will bring it up with her then.

My feeling is a new reef won't be happening tomorrow, but I think the desire is there and maybe a good proposal would be an added impetus.
don

danny zubot
05-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Exellent! I look forward to hearing more about your progress with it.

AJ_77
05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
My feeling is a new reef won't be happening tomorrow, but I think the desire is there and maybe a good proposal would be an added impetus.
don
I think what Don might be suggesting is that he could use some help in putting together a good proposal.

danny zubot
05-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Well if its support you are looking for Don, than a volunteer list might be a good idea. If any feels that they can contribute in any way they should volunteer for the field in which they feel comfortable contributing. I myself am a jack of all trades master of none, but I would be willing to offer my time as a general labourer if needed. I might also be useful in finding other volunteers and livestock donations. Once the funding is in place you might find that there will be lots of people wanting to be a part of this undertaking. You can count me in!

Lofus
05-31-2004, 11:04 PM
I would sure like to get involved. I think we have some good momentum here.

Quinn
05-31-2004, 11:19 PM
I'd like to help write a proposal but I'm fairly busy right now, I would be willing to help someone else do it though. I've used http://www.learnerassociates.net/proposal/propone.htm as a guide in the past, it seems quite good.