PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on the Vertex Mocean.

kien
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm currently researching these (vertex mocean (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-wmmoc3/Vertex+Mocean+3500+Wavemaker.html)) and am considering putting one or two on my tank. Would appreciate input from those who have these on their tanks. Thanks!

Skimmerking
11-09-2012, 06:05 PM
looks like the WAVY Sea

kien
11-09-2012, 06:06 PM
looks like the WAVY Sea

I believe it is, as Vertex bought out the Wave sea not too long ago and just rebranded it. Oh and I think they made some technical modifications to it as well.

Northernseacorals
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Interesting looking product; gonna follow along here to see others experience with this product.

subman
11-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I had a wavy sea running for years. Loved it and worked perfect, it just needs a re program after a power outage.

kien
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I had a wavy sea running for years. Loved it and worked perfect, it just needs a re program after a power outage.

what happens after a power outage? Does it just stop rotating but acts as a normal pass through return?

Jason McK
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I had 2 Wavy seas as my returns on my old tank. Eventually then failed because most of the components inside where plastic and would wear over time.
I replaced then with the moceans and they had obviously re-engendered the inside as they are way more robust. I'm going to be using 1 of them on my new 220G build

Delphinus
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I had the Wavysea's for a bit. Yeah IIRC they just stopped turning after a power failure.

As far as I could tell, Wavysea and Mocean's are identical. What *maybe* be different is the little motor mounts inside would snap off and then the unit would stop turning (the little motor inside was happily doing it's thing, just not turning the output nozzle). It was easy enough to limp these along though by superglueing them back in place. Hopefully the Mocean's are stronger in this regard.

I initially had the bright idea to mount Tunzes to mine. Over time I grew less enamored with the idea however. Initially, I mounted controllable Tunzes. This unfortunately created a pattern of flow that was really too random, which in and of itself maybe random isn't bad, but it was VERY unnatural and I didn't like it. Imagine a fire hose sweeping back and forth but someone turning the hose on and off at the same time. the effect was really jarring. ... So I switched to non controllable Tunzes and this was a little better (except it was still the sweeping firehose). Two things I still didn't really like though: wow those Tunzes are large looking when mounted on these things, and eventually the power wire itself broke because it would have a little tiny bend in it as the unit turned back and forth.

The last stage I just had them on two of my output nozzles. This was fine and I'd still have it in place if it wasn't for that I grew weary of opening them up and fixing them up on the inside. Once plastic breaks it seems you can't ever regain the same structural integrity no matter what kind of glue you use. But like has been mentioned, supposedly Vertex addressed the issue of robustness so hopefully that's not a problem.

Jason glad to hear you're getting a new tank! :)

Jason McK
11-09-2012, 06:47 PM
what happens after a power outage? Does it just stop rotating but acts as a normal pass through return?

Yes they stop rotating but still pass water through

kien
11-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Cool! Ya, my first gut feeling was that these sounded cool but, moving bits near and outside of water doesn't seem like a good long term strategy. From what I've read Vertex gutted it and beefed up the insides a bit. I'd like to slap two of these on each of my returns at the one end of my tank and let them sweep away.

Delphinus
11-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I think that would work really well for your tank..

mr_alberta
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I have one on my tank and I love it. I have a 45* 1" PVC fitting mounted on the bottom of it as my output and I have it rotate the full 360* all the time. No detritus build up for me :mrgreen:

After the power goes out the do stop rotating but water passes through normally.

kien
11-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely going to pull the trigger on a couple of these. Now just need to figure out where to get them! I wonder if the Double-Ds could hook me up..

badAZZlars
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely going to pull the trigger on a couple of these. Now just need to figure out where to get them! I wonder if the Double-Ds could hook me up..

I have two that I can sell you. Brand new but one is missing a piece that's needed to attach it to the rim. I bought them new off of another board member awhile back. Let me know if you are interested.

lastlight
11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
why not get the cheaper ones rated for 2000 gph? There's no way you're pushing more than 2000 through those returns.

kien
11-09-2012, 09:35 PM
why not get the cheaper ones rated for 2000 gph? There's no way you're pushing more than 2000 through those returns.

the 2000s are actually the ones i'm after. I just happen to throw up a link for the 3500 for the sake of example. And ya, that's exactly what I just text Dave after he tried to sell me on the 3500 LOL. Ain't no way I'm pushing more than 2000 gph through that pipe :lol:

lastlight
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Awesome stuff. Just trying to save you a few dollars where I can since you blew a few too many on gimmicky LEDs for your bicycle.

kien
11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
you blew a few too many on gimmicky LEDs for your bicycle.

whatever. I know you are totally jealous of my spoke lights!

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/hokey-spokes.jpg

mseepman
11-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I would also take a look into these...http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=sea+swirl&osCsid=rgjeretekl3edldcrq3pr1g3i4&osCsid=rgjeretekl3edldcrq3pr1g3i4&x=0&y=0