PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Zoas

RenHoek104
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey all,
My Zoas aren't looking too good, and I don't know what to do. They've been closed for the past few days and they won't open up anymore. Are they dead? What could I do? Marine snow needed? Any help will be appreciated.

Ren

subman
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
They aren't dead but not doing well, something isn't right.
Tank mates?
Lighting?
Flow in the area?
Water parameters?
How long have you had them?

RenHoek104
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Tank mates: Blue gudgeon, 3 astrea snails, 3 nassarius snails, stomatella snails, 1 bristle starfish (hitchhiker), 1 fire shrimp (I haven't seen since it molted, about 1 week now), that's about it.

Lighting: 2xT8, 1 Marine Glo & 1 Power Glo by Hagen (looking to upgrade to 2 or 4 T5, but not sure if 2 is enough and 4 is too much and the store I went to today gave me no service, so I didn't buy their product).

Flow: I have an Ecotech MP10w and a Hydor 750. I might have too much flow, but the others are doing well. I only have a 33 gallon tank, maybe the flow is making them sick?

Water: 8.2 pH, 0 NH3/NH4, 0 N02, 0 NO3, Ca 400

Had them for about 4 months now. I bought 4 frags and that one was always the weakest. It never fully opened compared to the rest and I have no idea why. The others are wide open and are spreading, though the spread has slowed down recently (I had some NH3/NH4 in my tank from some unknown source, now everything is back to normal).

What do you think it could be?
Ren

subman
11-09-2012, 07:23 PM
was it open in that spot before?
You could move it to a lower flow spot and see if it opens.
Take a very close look and check for pests of some sort as well.

RenHoek104
11-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Used to be, then it closed up. I moved it to the opposite side of the tank (away from the Vortech) and it stayed closed. I moved it again and it hasn't opened in a week. I have aiptasia on the frag. Could that be the reason? I know the others have a few yet they still open.
Ren

subman
11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
It could be the aiptasia but i doubt it I have one right in the middle of a colony and they are all open around it.

Have you tried moving to more or less lit area.

Marlin65
11-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Make sure their is no nudies they will close up if you have those.

tgrover
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Check out his link:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aquarium-corals/55054-why-my-zoanthids-closed-care-pests-troubleshooting.html

RenHoek104
11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Hmmmm...I'll try to light thing. I'll send it to a lower level in my tank.

Nudies...I've never seen any, but that might not mean I don't have any. I was thinking of getting berghias to get rid of the aiptasia.

I'm looking at the link as we speak.

Ren