PDA

View Full Version : Blue tenius released all "blue"

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Well I was acclimating a blue tenius that I got to the light. It was doing fine till the light went off. Afterwards, it released all its algae and its now white :|

Any clue? Will it survive? I can see one or two branches are still blue.

This is what it looked before the light went out:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5366/acrol.jpg

After the light went out, it released blue mucus (the algae I guess); I took it infront of the powerhead to get the mucus off and most of it is now white (some blue is remaining at the lower branches).

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 05:28 AM
It won't give off blue mucus, but it will slough off it's tissue, in which case it's done. See what it looks like in morning, if it's all white, take it out and smell it. It will smell if it still has tissue, if not, no smell. If it does have tissue, it's possible for it to recover.

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 05:29 AM
It won't give off blue mucus, but it will slough off it's tissue, in which case it's done. See what it looks like in morning, if it's all white, take it out and smell it. It will smell if it still has tissue, if not, no smell. If it does have tissue, it's possible for it to recover.

I will do that :)

Its VERY VERY weird. While the light was on, the coral was fine and as soon as the light went out, it started releasing mucus and became white :|

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Maybe turn the light back on, see if it's blue again?

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Well since it was releasing mucus, I cleaned it with the flow of powerhead and then turned light back on and saw most of it is white. Turned off the light again as soon as I noted that.

Bought a pink milli too and its tentacles are already out like crazy. Blue gomezi is ok I am guessing since it did not release anything.

Weird SPS :|

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Putting them in front of power heads is probably not the best thing to do :) Shake it in the water or fan it with your hand, or lightly hit it with a turkey baster.
Sounds done to me.

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Putting them in front of power heads is probably not the best thing to do :) Shake it in the water or fan it with your hand, or lightly hit it with a turkey baster.
Sounds done to me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'(

The powerhead is not strong though. Its a koralia nano 425gph. But the bottom of the frag still seems to have life. The top branches are white now but the bottom is still colored. Maybe keep it for a week and see whether there's any improvement?

claymax
11-09-2012, 06:19 AM
ive got a couple sps that i thought were goners, bleached or rtned,that came back so even if a tiny patch of tissue survives you'll still in essence have a frag.

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Ya, do the smell test tomorrow, if it still smells, keep it. I had a piece bleach and stay pure white for 4 or 5 months, then came back.

chandigz
11-09-2012, 07:15 AM
If you look at your picture you can already see the flesh peeling and receding. It already has 50% skeleton showing. The timing of the tissue releasing and the light going off was purely coincidence. That coral was allready in serious trouble.

subman
11-09-2012, 12:42 PM
It is hard to tell from the picture but it does seem to be half blue and the other half algae covered.

Proteus
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I had this happen to a piece last week. It shed its flesh. I moved mine to less flow and it started to come out again but I new something was wrong because polyps wernt out for two days. Check your parmeters I had a small phosphate spike.

lastlight
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
If you bought it like that it was already on its way out when you got it. The tips were already missing tissue. I hope nobody sold it to you like that your pic shows a coral in serious trouble.

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:36 PM
If you look at your picture you can already see the flesh peeling and receding. It already has 50% skeleton showing. The timing of the tissue releasing and the light going off was purely coincidence. That coral was allready in serious trouble.

I always thought SPS are colored from inside and doesn't have any outer tissue :P

Yah I guess this thing doesn't ship well.

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I had this happen to a piece last week. It shed its flesh. I moved mine to less flow and it started to come out again but I new something was wrong because polyps wernt out for two days. Check your parmeters I had a small phosphate spike.

Yap checked the params (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, kh, ph, calcium) and all of them are in check. I feel like color blind when testing for phosphate but I am pretty sure its below 0.05ppm.

Aquattro
No, they have the white calcium skeleton, then that is covered with layers of tissue, within this tissue is the varying pigments and algae.

mrhasan
If you bought it like that it was already on its way out when you got it. The tips were already missing tissue. I hope nobody sold it to you like that your pic shows a coral in serious trouble.

Oh I didn't buy it; it was a freebee :)

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
No, they have the white calcium skeleton, then that is covered with layers of tissue, within this tissue is the varying pigments and algae.

Oooooooo. That clears a lot. Now I get why the new branches are white initially :P Thanks for the lesson :mrgreen:

reefwars
11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
you running carbon???

lol sorry i had too :twised::twised:

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
you running carbon???

Ah you are starting another carbon thread :lol: :wink:

I don't run any carbon in reactor but I just put a bag of aquaclear carbon in the filter. I don't like smelly water :P

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
you running carbon???

I can change that MVP to A S S ..:razz:

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
:lol:I can change that MVP to A S S ..:razz:

lastlight
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Ah typical Brad.

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Ah typical Brad.

almost predictable, eh?

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
:pop2:

(before kien takes it away :mrgreen:)

Aquattro
11-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I told you before, you can't steal his popcorn..

mrhasan
11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I told you before, you can't steal his popcorn..

Yah that's why I posted it in the first place with my own popcorn :mrgreen:

Nano
11-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Can you change mine to Rick James ;) jk

Skimmerking
11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I can change that MVP to A S S ..:razz: what ya mean Brad change there is no changing here.:mrgreen: your not one of those people who would change things on people are ya lol

reefwars
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM

ahhhh no i like it the way it is now lol although i wont have my reefwars id for long anyways but still lol ;P

i take it all back....i love carbon:)

Zoaelite
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Have you seen Dennys tank? Its practically 115% made of superglue and epoxy haha, A S S makes sense to me as the aquascape super star...