PDA

View Full Version : Tank to Sump Ratio

jords
11-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Going to be building my new tank from the ground-up (starting with nothing but glass). Just wondering if there is a special tank size to sump size ratio? Or just whatever fits? For instance, I'm planning a 120 gallon tank. So how big should my sump be? I'll be posting a tank journal as soon as I get started, so watch for that (tips for anything is more than welcome!).

To be honest, I've never had a sump before. However, I've only run nano tanks. So with a big tank like this (which will be set up for corals, fish, and live rock), what kind and size of sump will I want? Thanks in advance.

Aquattro
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Honestly, the bigger the better, the only limit being space and how much you want to spend on gear and salt. No magic ratio at all. You want it to hold all your equipment and have room to take whatever water drains back in a power outage.

reefwars
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
as big as you can fit is the way to go , be sure you have enough room for your skimmer and a return chamber large enough that evaporation dont drive you nuts.

reefwars
11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
or what brad said lol

Aquattro
11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I guess for a 120, assuming on some stand, you want the sump underneath, so I'd look for a 55 or 75g tank to use.

reefwars
11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
standard height for sumps we make are 18" but that also depends on how much space/height you have.

jords
11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys! I was thinking about a 50g, but a LFS has a cheap 75g on sale right now. Was thinking about one of those and then just gluing in some plexiglass or acrylic and making my own, with the spaces that I'd require. I'm not too concerned with evap. at all, because I'll be hooking up an ATO system to the sump (evap. is so annoying!). I'll be sure to go with the 75g (which sounds crazy, because it's not that much smaller than a 120g tank), and that way I have extra room if I should upgrade or anything.

Aquattro
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
When I set up a new sump, I try to find some scratched up tank, missng trim, etc, for as cheap as I can get it. My current tank has a 75g sump that I paid $40 for. I have a 90 here if you want to come pick it up, free :)

jords
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
When I set up a new sump, I try to find some scratched up tank, missng trim, etc, for as cheap as I can get it. My current tank has a 75g sump that I paid $40 for. I have a 90 here if you want to come pick it up, free :)

Damn, I was just in Victoria too! Hold it until April when I come by again? (from Kelowna, so I make my way out there quite often. But since there's nothing to do, find myself always taking the extra drive all the way to Vic).

Aquattro
11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Damn, I was just in Victoria too! Hold it until April when I come by again? (from Kelowna, so I make my way out there quite often. But since there's nothing to do, find myself always taking the extra drive all the way to Vic).

With the market for used stuff in Vic, it may still be here :)

jords
11-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Haha! I'll be sure to hit you up before I leave then. However, I hope to have this tank set up before then (half the fun of vacation is going to other stores and meeting locals/swapping, etc).

kien
11-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Going to be building my new tank from the ground-up (starting with nothing but glass)

I would suggest picking up some silicone as well. That or I suppose duct tape works too..

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/jgalat/IMG_7481.jpg

jords
11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
:lol:
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on some good old silicone. Any actual difference between black or clear, other than cosmetics?
It's funny because my fiance says I shouldn't build my own tank. All because when we were at the LFS and said I was planning to, the worker said it's definitely not a good idea. Little does she not realize that the store only wanted to make a sale (that's why the store said they can custom make any tank I want).

intarsiabox
11-08-2012, 10:58 PM
:lol:
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on some good old silicone. Any actual difference between black or clear, other than cosmetics?
It's funny because my fiance says I shouldn't build my own tank. All because when we were at the LFS and said I was planning to, the worker said it's definitely not a good idea. Little does she not realize that the store only wanted to make a sale (that's why the store said they can custom make any tank I want).

Make sure you get an aquarium safe silicone such as GE 1200. Do not use GE I or II, they both say 100% silicone but contain mildew inhibators. I have a 65g sump on my tank which is only about a 75g cubish size. I like the extra capacity because my ATO can screw up and empty it's entire contents into the sump and at the same time the power can go off and my DT can overflow into the sump and I'll still not have water end up on my floor. The new house has a finished basement and the wife would never forgive me if I flooded the basement (again).

jords
11-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Make sure you get an aquarium safe silicone such as GE 1200. Do not use GE I or II, they both say 100% silicone but contain mildew inhibators. I have a 65g sump on my tank which is only about a 75g cubish size. I like the extra capacity because my ATO can screw up and empty it's entire contents into the sump and at the same time the power can go off and my DT can overflow into the sump and I'll still not have water end up on my floor. The new house has a finished basement and the wife would never forgive me if I flooded the basement (again).

That's good! Yeah, I like the look of the black silicone over the clear. What kind of ATO are you using?

intarsiabox
11-09-2012, 03:24 AM
That's good! Yeah, I like the look of the black silicone over the clear. What kind of ATO are you using?

Tunze

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2012, 03:58 AM
For my sump on the 165g display, I picked up a cracked 90g wide (4' x 2' x 18"), paid $30 and another $20 to get a small piece of window glass cut to size for a patch and two baffles and siliconed the patch over the crack and the baffles in place.

$40 investment and now have a very useful 90g wide sump. 90g wides are kinda rare, which is why I bought this cracked one. Sold my 75g tall that wouldn't fit properly into the stand for $80 so that worked out well.

reefwars
11-09-2012, 04:08 AM
[quote=jords;762286]:lol:
quote]

nope , just make sure you use construction adhesive if you are building and not a sealant, most stuff the lfs carries is sealant and not meant for building but meant for re-sealing

jords
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
nope , just make sure you use construction adhesive if you are building and not a sealant, most stuff the lfs carries is sealant and not meant for building but meant for re-sealing

Thanks for the tip! Wouldn't want this thing to fall apart on me! Now I'm just trying to figure out exactly the sizes of the glass I'll need (stupid me forgot that the sides have to be shorter to make it all fit together!). I pm'd you regarding tank building, btw. It'd be great if you could help me out (I seriously have almost no idea what I'm doing)