PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

jords
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Hey, new to the boards, so sorry if this isn't posted in the right spot. I'll get it one day! :lol:

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what exactly this is. It's the best picture I could get of it (sorry about the damsel, he really wanted his picture taken this morning). It looks like lettuce or something growing up from the live rock. This is the biggest one, but there are a couple other small ones coming up. Any help would be great, thanks! :)

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545360_464378390281367_1131841390_n.jpg

It's right under his bottom fin. (PS, yes I'm aware of that hair algae in the picture too - working on it!)

HaZRaTTy
11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Hard to tell due to the blur, but I would say its Aptasia

Google that.

mrhasan
11-08-2012, 05:02 PM
+1 to aptasia since you said "smaller ones coming up". Time to ZAP IT! :razz:

kien
11-08-2012, 05:10 PM
are you referring to the orange thingy under the damsel's belly? Kinda blurry so hard to tell but could be a sponge or macro algae of some sort.

jords
11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
are you referring to the orange thingy under the damsel's belly? Kinda blurry so hard to tell but could be a sponge or macro algae of some sort.

Yes, I'm taking about the orange/red thing under the damsel's belly. I was thinking it was some sort of sponge. Are they fine?

As for the aiptasia... I know those exist. They are all over my live rock from the only LFS here. Problem with those is I tried Joe-Juice, it got rid of of the ones I treated, but tons more popped up soon after. And unfortunately, I can't trust peppermint shrimp in my tank with my dottyback and damsel. So I'm at a complete loss with those.

kien
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes, I'm taking about the orange/red thing under the damsel's belly. I was thinking it was some sort of sponge. Are they fine?

As for the aiptasia... I know those exist. They are all over my live rock from the only LFS here. Problem with those is I tried Joe-Juice, it got rid of of the ones I treated, but tons more popped up soon after. And unfortunately, I can't trust peppermint shrimp in my tank with my dottyback and damsel. So I'm at a complete loss with those.

Sponges are fine :-)

HaZRaTTy
11-08-2012, 05:51 PM
It doesn't look like aptasia? Please get a more clear picture.

My 2nd guess would be definetly sponge that being said the picture differences between a sponge, and aptasia are quite significant.

If you are not sure just to touch it and if it receeds then its aptasia, if it just chills and feels like a sponge. You guessed it, Its a SPONGE!!!:wink:

jords
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
It doesn't look like aptasia? Please get a more clear picture.

My 2nd guess would be definetly sponge that being said the picture differences between a sponge, and aptasia are quite significant.

If you are not sure just to touch it and if it receeds then its aptasia, if it just chills and feels like a sponge. You guessed it, Its a SPONGE!!!:wink:

I believe you can see the sponge in that photo, under the damsel's belly, and then the aptasia at the bottom of the photo. I'll get a more clear picture of the two tonight hopefully.

monocus
11-08-2012, 06:24 PM
if it's soft and recedes slowly it could be a carnation or chilli coral.as for your aptasia problem,inject them with lemon juice,smother them with kalkwasser mix,torch them,epoxy them,etc-but do it during the day about 1-2 hours after feeding so they don't release their daughter cells.for natural eradication-file fish,copperband ,sometimes banner fish,or berghia

jords
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
if it's soft and recedes slowly it could be a carnation or chilli coral.as for your aptasia problem,inject them with lemon juice,smother them with kalkwasser mix,torch them,epoxy them,etc-but do it during the day about 1-2 hours after feeding so they don't release their daughter cells.for natural eradication-file fish,copperband ,sometimes banner fish,or berghia

Ooooh! Those two sound nice, I definitely won't touch the red stuff yet then!

I tried to nuke them before using Joe's Juice and a syringe, but I think it released all that gunk that caused tons more of them. Thought I could just start living with them. Hahaha - they hitched in on the live rock I bought - was not cooked or cured. As for copperband fish or even file fish (which I don't think look too pleasing,) are they reef save, and not aggresive?

monocus
11-09-2012, 01:24 AM
depends on the individual fish and it's personality.the only thing reef safe is berghia

jords
11-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Fair enough.

Well I am for sure going to be keeping an eye on that carnation/chilli coral, and hope it does grow into something cool! I was about to scrape it off.

marie
11-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Could it be a Foraminiferans?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/rs/index.php

jords
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Could it be a Foraminiferans?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/rs/index.php

TBH, after searching and searching through Google, that's what I thought it was. Thought I'd post on here. I'm just going to let it grow out. Up close it kind of looks like thin red strings coming out of my live rock.

jords
11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Here's a pic of the red thing growing on the rock....
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/155511_10151130727343596_198260007_n.jpg

Hope this helps. I look it with a 10MP Nikon camera at full zoom, so if this isn't good enough, I'm afraid I can't supply a better pic until I re-arrange the tank again. haha

jords
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Local hobbyist came and took a look - he's pretty sure it's a sponge. Apparently it can't be a chilli coral because my LR is not from the Carribean. He didn't rule out carnation coral though. I guess only time will tell.