PDA

View Full Version : coraline products

Switch Blade
11-07-2012, 05:26 PM
hey, just wanna see peoples exp and opinions on purple up/ coraline growing products, which one are good and which ones have you guys tried?

whatcaneyedo
11-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I've never tried any and I never will. Whats the point if you can achieve results like this without them? Why not spend your money on more exiting purchases like new coral and your time on researching how to achieve optimal reef chemistry? Coraline grows exceptionally well when provided adequate calcium and magnesium, undetectable phosphate and slightly elevated magnesium (in my humble opinion). For bonus points theres a tailspot blenny in this picture.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/IMG_3470.jpg

cyberdude47
11-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Agreed! There a waste of money. Save the money and spend it on keeping parameters in check. Once coraline starts growing it grows pretty quick

whatcaneyedo
11-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Oops I meant to say 'adequate calcium and alkalinity' in addition to elevated magnesium.

The Guy
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Oops I meant to say 'adequate calcium and alkalinity' in addition to elevated magnesium.
Agreed I have the same results with no additives and don't plan to use any in the future, :smilecol: watch my levels is all I do.

Spyd
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Purple Up is just a calcium additive. They use argonite apparantly so that the calcium stays on the rock... As long as your levels are good, then I wouldn't worry about adding anything.

If you want to spread the coraline out in your tank all you have to do is take a small rock and scrape the coraline off right into the path of a powerhead. This will disperse the coraline all over your tank and help speed up the process a little. Really, it is just a matter of time. I find it takes about 3 + months in a new setup before it starts spreading like crazy.