PDA

View Full Version : Undecided need some input for new tank?

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 12:54 AM
I want to take down my 75 gal cube and build a room divider. My ideal tank would be 6' long by 24" wide and 20" high. I would like a close loop on a Dart as I would take those parts from my 75 cube.
I also have a big tank one floor above so was thinking of plumbing them both together. To make a bigger water volume. Not too sure if that's such a great idea. I would think that will take a big pump.
The glass to put this together will be reasonable for me as I work with glass.:wink:
That or I can just buy a ready made tank. but most are not 24" wide or tempered. I like tempered stronger and it has flex. I was also thinking of doing the drop down L tank but think I might do that with rocks or adding some glass as I am paying for all the glass anyway.
I am not sure what way to go right now but if anyone has a tank close to that that they want to get rid send me a pm.
Looking for some input as there is lots of people here that have great ideas.

kien
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
72"x24"x20" Room divider has my vote. I may be slightly biased tho lol.

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 02:14 AM
That's what I want.:smile:
Should I plumb the new tank into my 150 upstairs? I know you had your tanks running together somewhat like that.

kien
11-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Yes I had two tanks side by side that were plumbed together. Personally, this is the only way that I could make two tanks work. Only one skimmer cup to clean, one gfo/carbon reactor(s) media to change, one set of heaters, chiller, etc. it simplifies things that way. Those are the pros. However, there are cons. Because both tanks share water anything that goes wrong in one goes wrong in the other (disease, tank parameters, etc.). You may need larger equipment in order to support both tanks. I had to get a skimmer rated for 300-400g. This was more expensive than if I had gotten a second skimmer rated for a smaller second tank.

Ultimately having the second tank for me failed simply because my lifestyle just can not support having two medium-large tanks, even if they were plumbed together. You still have to scrape/clean the glass on both tanks separately. You still have to feed both tanks separately. Light both tanks, etc. it also didn't help that the "FOWLR" was 28" tall. That may not seem very tall for you big white guys but for us tiny Asians that's a huge pain. I can never have a tank taller than 20".

I did briefly have a second tank in my basement that was about 120g that was completely stand alone and I learned very quickly that that scenary absolutely does not work for me! Two sets of tanks to maintain individually is a royal pain, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Plumbing together makes having two tanks much more manageable.

kien
11-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Oh, I will add that although my 120g basement tank was isolated and took more time to maintain that having it set up this way ultimately saved by main 150f from disaster! I was a little lazy on the basement tank so didn't dip stuff properly and also took in questionable fish. I ended up getting hit with velvet an all manner of pests like flatworms in that tank! If it was not isolated my main 150g would have been hosed as well.

Jason McK
11-07-2012, 02:40 AM
you could plumb the tanks together through the sump and have separate returns.

If you need a big pump I might be able to help you out ;)

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 02:57 AM
That's true. Jason...
I had three tanks so I know what what you are saying about the upkeep Kien that's why I was thinking of joining them. After I start this new tank. The tank I now have upstairs would just become a frag tank no fish. I also would like to do automated water changes somehow. Then I could just run the closed loop on this main tank and pump the water upstairs. I just have to figure out how to fit it into my system now......
And what kind of pump will I need to go up a floor?

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 03:05 AM
I could do a 60" x 40" x 20" as well just don't know if that will fit as well :mrgreen: as it will cut into the wife's couch plan.:wink:

kien
11-07-2012, 04:48 AM
I've never tried to push water up a level so I can't really provide too much input there. I suspect you'll want something like a dart tho. Can't really comment on the dimensions of your new tank either as I don't really know what your space looks like or what your wife looks like (when she is angry). :-)

Mike-fish
11-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Myself I would leave the tanks indepentant of one another I have 3 tanks all separate and I don't find it's that much work actually I am considering a 4th tank just the power bill sucks with 2 of the three on mh lights. If you are looking for a pump I would recommend little giants caustic pumps I have 2 and a friend of mine has them as well and they are dead silent and zero maitanence unlike the darts. He is building a 375g that the sumps will be in the basement and plans on getting the 3hp mag-drive caustic pump from little giants it puts out 2200gph at 12 feet of head might be worth while looking into one if you decide to plumb them together.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I would keep them separate. Very high head pumps suck power and if you have an outbreak in one tank, you'll then have it in both. Safer to keep separate.

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Yah thinking it might be the better way to go Looks like I will need to build another big sump, and I am for sure going to plumb in the auto water change.
I am tired of lugging buckets up and down stairs.:twised:
Now to dicide on the tank size.

kien
11-07-2012, 03:45 PM
how about a picture of the space where the tank will go? And maybe a picture of your wife when she's very very very angry.

Marlin65
11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
LOL I can take a picture of the space for sure as far as the wife I don't like to get too close if she is angry.:wink:

Marlin65
11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Okay here are the pictures.
My plan is to put in a divider with the fish tank 6' out. There used to be a wall here that divided the kitchen and living room. The plan is to put the tank divider in and change the couch to a L shape. Wife wants new couch. I will have to get rid of the cube in the corner and the couch can go into the U shape this will create. I am thinking that will be a best lay out, or I could go with a deeper tank not as far out. The red will go as well time for a change.:wink:

It would sit here.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/hikingtrigger/PB070001.jpg

The current set up.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/hikingtrigger/PB070002.jpg

kien
11-08-2012, 03:43 AM
That is definitely a great place for a divider. Mine is similar in that it sits between our dining room and our living room. We love it and guests love it when they are over for dinner and can sit by the tank while eating.

Edit: the red walls definitely need to go. :-)

plutoniumJoe
11-08-2012, 04:05 AM
I have a 6ft by 28 wide X 24 high that I am thinking of taking down, if you are interested you can come by and take a look - East Van. I don't know if it would work for you because of the overflow but it could be moved. It is drilled for a closed loop. Take a look at my build thread to get an idea.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57242

Joe

Marlin65
11-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Thats a great tank but the drain is in the wrong spot. I think I will just end up building my own out of tempered I have a fear of float glass.:sad:
Still thinking about doing the drop tank as well as I really like the look of that.
I was thinking of putting glass sides in about 6" inboard and 4 foot long 12" high, and filling that with sand and then filling the center in with rocks. Not sure if that is going to give me a problem with stuff getting traped in there though.

kien
11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Thats a great tank but the drain is in the wrong spot. I think I will just end up building my own out of tempered I have a fear of float glass.:sad:
Still thinking about doing the drop tank as well as I really like the look of that.
I was thinking of putting glass sides in about 6" inboard and 4 foot long 12" high, and filling that with sand and then filling the center in with rocks. Not sure if that is going to give me a problem with stuff getting traped in there though.

If you're keen on the 'L' shaped tank then I say go for it! Those do look sweet. Definitely something different and not many of those around for sure.

Psyire
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I would link them together so it's easier to work on the 'system'. Also I would go 28" wide at a minimum if you can... It just creates much more 'depth' to your 'divider'..