PDA

View Full Version : Dead Tunze Power Supply

Delphinus
11-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Has anyone ever tried taking a dead Tunze power supply apart?

Noticed my wavebox wasn't on today .. looks like the power supply is toast.

Opened it up in the hopes it was a blown fuse ... there is a fuse in there but it looks intact.

Anyone ever tried fixing one of these?

AquaticFinatic
11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Contact smudge as he fixed mine when it went. :biggrin:

Smudge
11-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I fixed AquaticFinatic's, 2 Caps were blown and I think it was a regulator but can't remember. The screws to remove the cover are hidden under the stickers.

Delphinus
11-04-2012, 03:39 AM
I had a very hard time getting the screw out. It was a head style I had never seen before. So I might kind of brute force method'd it apart to check the fuse but honestly I'm OK with electrical taping the thing back together if it's fixed.

Find yourself in Calgary ever? :lol: .. I'll msg you offline about this.

Bryan
11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
SMPS power supply, and the typical culprit is capacitors. Do you have a ESR meter to test them.

Smudge
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry forgot to mention the screws are a security type, you need a special scewdriver to remove them. PM sent.

sphelps
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I may have an extra 24V tunze power supply kicking around that you can have (the newer style). If you don't get yours fixed send me a PM and I'll see if I can find it.

Stones
11-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Not sure what the Amperage rating is on the tunze power supply but you could always check fleabay for a cheap replacement. Sometimes they are hard to come by but often you can find an off brand laptop or printer power supply with the same voltage and amperage needed for under $15.

Due to the occasional flood and salt creep, I've had to replace a few of my vortech power supplies over the years. $50 from ecotech vs $15 on fleabay is a no brainer and they work just fine.

RuGlu6
11-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Not sure what the Amperage rating is on the tunze power supply but you could always check fleabay for a cheap replacement. Sometimes they are hard to come by but often you can find an off brand laptop or printer power supply with the same voltage and amperage needed for under $15.

Due to the occasional flood and salt creep, I've had to replace a few of my vortech power supplies over the years. $50 from ecotech vs $15 on fleabay is a no brainer and they work just fine.

+1.
I have now replaced two Tunze power supplies (after many years of service heavy dust and salt creep cover) One was $25 laptop power the other was $10 printer power supply. from OnState technologies (http://www.onstatetech.com/company/company.htm)