PDA

View Full Version : Treating ICH with Mysis & Garlic?

btymens
11-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been doing some research lately about tangs who get ich and one of the fews things that caught my attention was about one person who says he treats it with mysis soaked in garlic but never states if it is store bought or homemade. He swears it works everytime, so my question is has anyone every tried this? Can you buy it at a LFS or how do you make it at home?
Just curious about learning new tips and tricks

ScubaSteve
11-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I use garlic soaked food when ich rears it's ugly head. Get some Garlic Extreme from your LFS and soak the food in it for a few minutes before feeding. Try to not add too much of the garlic liquid to the tank as it kills your skimmer performance.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Most of the time you can use Garlic Guard, or Garlic Extreme.

btymens
11-03-2012, 11:17 PM
thanks guys, its always good to learn something new. Have you guys tried this trick? if so does it work?

fixerupper
11-04-2012, 01:47 AM
FWIW. Had an ich outbreak a while back when I introduced a coral beauty. Nothing else was affected but the few spots on the CB seemed to be slowly increasing. After a bunch of reading I decided to mix some fresh crushed garlic with some Pacifica plankton. (We don't have option to quarantine or use low salinity treatments.) The ich seemed to get better overnight and symptoms disappeared within the week. Undoubtedly the parasite was/is still present in my tank but it really seemed to control the symptoms quite well. Later when I added a mimic tang, ich expressed itself again and overnight the new tang developed the worst case I could imagine. It was loaded with spots, cloudy bulging eyes and couldn't swim straight. I mixed up the garlic with the frozen food and added some fresh zested ginger. Luckily, the tang was able to eat this because it sure wasn't interested in any other foods. The symptoms were clearly much less severe within a day and cleared up within the week. I'm certain the garlic/ginger/plankton blend didn't eradicate the ich but it sure does work to mitigate the symptoms. No other corals or fish seemed negatively affected as far as I could tell so I really don't see a downside. Interestingly, the critters in my tank seem to love it so I occasionally treat the fish to this blend from time to time. Last apparent ich symptoms were 6 months ago. For the record: I'm just expressing my experiences as it pertains to the ich symptoms in my tank. I don't believe that this cures ich.

btymens
11-04-2012, 01:06 AM
FWIW. Had an ich outbreak a while back when I introduced a coral beauty. Nothing else was affected but the few spots on the CB seemed to be slowly increasing. After a bunch of reading I decided to mix some fresh crushed garlic with some Pacifica plankton. (We don't have option to quarantine or use low salinity treatments.) The ich seemed to get better overnight and symptoms disappeared within the week. Undoubtedly the parasite was/is still present in my tank but it really seemed to control the symptoms quite well. Later when I added a mimic tang, ich expressed itself again and overnight the new tang developed the worst case I could imagine. It was loaded with spots, cloudy bulging eyes and couldn't swim straight. I mixed up the garlic with the frozen food and added some fresh zested ginger. Luckily, the tang was able to eat this because it sure wasn't interested in any other foods. The symptoms were clearly much less severe within a day and cleared up within the week. I'm certain the garlic/ginger/plankton blend didn't eradicate the ich but it sure does work to mitigate the symptoms. No other corals or fish seemed negatively affected as far as I could tell so I really don't see a downside. Interestingly, the critters in my tank seem to love it so I occasionally treat the fish to this blend from time to time. Last apparent ich symptoms were 6 months ago. For the record: I'm just expressing my experiences as it pertains to the ich symptoms in my tank. I don't believe that this cures ich.
thanks for the input, but ginger thats something I havent heard of before

fixerupper
11-04-2012, 02:06 AM
There are several forums with discussions about the garlic/ginger combo. Some even go so far as to claim it eradicates Ich but I have serious doubts about that. It kinda makes you wonder if someone will have the courage to try wasabi as the latest treatment lol.