PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Xenia

Dearth
11-02-2012, 03:35 AM
I picked up some purple Xenia almost 2 weeks ago and while it does add colour and movement to the tank it is trying its damnedest to take over my tank and every few days I go fishing new growth from around my tank.

So for those of you that have Xenia in your tank do you consider it a weed or an added attraction to the tank?

daplatapus
11-02-2012, 03:37 AM
I really like mine. But like you said, it tends to go wild if not kept in check. But I find it easier to remove than those crazy kenya tree frags when they grab hold of something.

intarsiabox
11-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Pom-Pom xenia is much less invasive but not as common.

Rogue951
11-02-2012, 03:54 AM
It was nice in a corner of the tank and the fish loved the cover, but I'm finally ****ed at it.
ripped out all of it and flushed it.
so much more space for corals now. lol

subman
11-02-2012, 04:00 AM
I love it..... But wouldn't ever have it in my tank again. I It just grows to fast and takes over.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-02-2012, 04:17 AM
I love pulsing xenia. If it turns into a weed in certain tanks, that's fine with my wife and I. The non-pulsing type, not so much.

gregzz4
11-02-2012, 05:57 AM
If it turns into a weed in certain tanks ...
This coming from the guy who just sold me some :smile:

Seriously though, the above advice is what I am going to follow
I'll keep mine to an area that I can easily remove it from, just in case it decides to spread
I haven't seen it become much of an issue in the tanks I have seen so far this year

I like it and will crop it as needed

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-02-2012, 06:59 AM
This coming from the guy who just sold me some :smile:

I wasn't planning to. You asked for it (some people will think you're crazy now, of course).:wink:

gregzz4
11-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I wasn't planning to. You asked for it (some people will think you're crazy now, of course).:wink:
It's all good :lol:
Yes, I asked Anthony to sell it to me, and my Wife is liking the flowing-ness of something other than 'sticks' :smile:

Only time will tell how I feel about it ...

I'm not overly excited about the color, but, when the Wife likes something, it's a win, so who cares what color it is :razz:

tim the toolman
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I had a bit and loved it. That bit turned into a bunch and I liked it. That bunch turned into a pile(even with frequent pruning) and I hated it. That pile turned into an infestation so I removed it all scraped the rock clean and now avoid it all together. Even after a very thurough cleaning it still is coming back from somewhere.

Rogue951
11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I found that covering whats left with kalk paste does the job.
that being said I have a tank that needs a lot of calcium and 50 gallons of water to dilute any bad effects.

soapy
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I love the look of it but not how fast it grows or the smell. Damn that stuff stinks. Not as bad as Anthelia but a close second.