PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Silicone

Jason McK
11-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Can anyone tell me or post a pic of the "what's the tub need to say" for it to be reef safe

Thanks
J

Aquattro
11-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I think these days it needs to say GE1200 or "aquarium safe"

monocus
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
nuflex 333 aquarium silicone.you can get it from cascade or get your local glass company to bring it in

Jason McK
11-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks, My Glass company did say they could bring it in for me. But I thought there was a off the shelf (Rona or HD) brand I could get.

I'll look at HD for GE1200

Thanks again

J

daplatapus
11-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Home hardware 9$ for a 3 tube contractor pack.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/IMAG0081.jpg

apexifd
11-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Pretty sure HD doesn't have any aquarium safe silicone. Rona shelf is usually a mess, so I don't go there often.

Home hardware stuff is good for aquarium. I used that myself, still have 1/2 the tube left.. Send Jim to pick them up from me.. Lol

kookie_guy
11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
If you are building a tank, for the outer glass you need structural silicone. The stuff from big box stores is a sealant, not a construction silicone adhesive. For baffles and stuff like that, the cheap stuff is fine (as long as it does not have any antibacterial or antifungal additives). But for building a tank, you gotta use something like GE1200 that has a high shear rating.

reefwars
11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Absolutely, make sure your using a construction adhesive silicone not a sealant.

Ge1200 series is what you want if your building a tank.

daplatapus
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
If you are building a tank, for the outer glass you need structural silicone. The stuff from big box stores is a sealant, not a construction silicone adhesive. For baffles and stuff like that, the cheap stuff is fine (as long as it does not have any antibacterial or antifungal additives). But for building a tank, you gotta use something like GE1200 that has a high shear rating.

Agreed. I've only used the Homehardware stuff for resealing tanks.

Jason McK
11-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear I'm just putting baffles in a sump

Thanks all. I'll check out Home Hardware

biggerstretch
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM

I have used a lower grade when building or re sealing a tank with no worries however it isn't worth the risk to save a couple bucks... baffles in a sump should be good with anything that is not " kitchen and bath " as those contain algae inhibitors ... the window and door stuff is what I have on hand for basic mods ... still a quality brand , just no additives.