PDA

View Full Version : 150 gal tank build

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
So after a few weeks of deciding how big? Where to put it? And what shall it look like? I am starting my tank build. As of yesterday, thanks to concepts aquariums my tank should be here on Friday. I will start with what I have so far. This is my first salt water tank. I had a fresh water when I was young but I would considered a novice at best. The tank is a 48L x 24W x 29H 150gal I like the bit wider tank so I might be able to create some islands for fish to swim around.

I will start with the stand build

Then we stain, place it, and test fit the sump tank

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Here is a few shots on the equipment purchased for the build

MarkoD
11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Just a heads up; with a high sump like that, you'll have problems removing the skimmer cup

Enigma
11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Looking great, and I'm so pleased that the gents at Concept are getting your tank made for you. :)

I'm wondering if you can get your sump out of the stand through the doors in the stand? And, Marko makes a good point. While you've got lots of vertical height to take the skimmer cup off, is there enough room between the sump and the stand's doors to get the cup through the opening?

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Looking great, and I'm so pleased that the gents at Concept are getting your tank made for you. :)

I'm wondering if you can get your sump out of the stand through the doors in the stand? And, Marko makes a good point. While you've got lots of vertical height to take the skimmer cup off, is there enough room between the sump and the stand's doors to get the cup through the opening?

I noticed that and had a back up sump tank that was wider and shorter

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/yhuhaqa6.jpg

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I do admit though Inverness sump is in the stand it is staying in the stand

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry type error post should say "once the sump is in the stand it will be staying in the stand". It won't fit through the doors

Enigma
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry type error post should say "once the sump is in the stand it will be staying in the stand". It won't fit through the doors

If the sump fails (which hopefully it never does), you'll need a way to replace it. Will one of the end panels on the stand be easy to pull off?

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I can modify the stand enough to get the sump out. Considering making mods now instead of later

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:26 PM
So at the end of last night I added a few more items and then called it a night

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/yqeguseg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/zeputyme.jpg

Enigma
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I can modify the stand enough to get the sump out. Considering making mods now instead of later

Very good idea :)

So at the end of last night I added a few more items and then called it a night

Nice to see that you invested in a controller. I'm using an Apex and an Apex Lite, and I think they're great insurance. :)

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Nice to see that you invested in a controller. I'm using an Apex and an Apex Lite, and I think they're great insurance. :)[/QUOTE]

With this being my first tank I thought the control will give me a bit of an edge for success

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
This morning I ran down stairs to start water. When I got back my wife thanked me for starting coffee. I said "huh????" She said "you started the coffee water"

This is the water I started.....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/u4ytajy5.jpg

She will just have to learn in guess. Hahahahahahaha...

molotov
11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey Spencer,

Skimmer looks great. Do make sure you're able to get it in and out of your sump. I had a similar problem and had to have Dave build me a second stand cause I couldn't get the skimmer in or out.:redface:

Also you'll want to make sure that Rubbermaid bin is food grade. Especially being black it may leech contaminates into your water. Do some reasearch on Brute bins as they are food grade. You can pick them up from Home Depot.

kien
11-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Coming along nicely! I know that you already know this, but man 29" is tall yo! Over the years that is probably the single most complained about aspect that I hear about people's tanks. ie, that it is too tall. Anyway, I've been following your threads so I know that your dimensions are deliberate.

You can't go wrong with the Double Ds at Concepts!

:pop2:

Salt2Death
11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Build looks really good.
Looks like your very well on your way I'd say.

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

Seriak
11-01-2012, 04:24 PM
You can't go wrong with the Double Ds at Concepts!

:pop2:

Is that what we are calling them now?

I really like a deep tank. Just grab a snorkel if you can't reach the bottom. Experience your tank in a whole new way.

reefwars
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
looking great buddy , glad to see some pics now you just need a tank to put on that badboy eh;)

im not sure if we taked about this the other day but nows a good time to start thinking about nutrient export, i see you got a skimmer which is a must have but you also may want to consider running a reactor with gfo to export phosphates.

phosphates are the leading cause of nusance algae and it inhibits growth and colors in corals.

when you come to pick up the tank friday ill show you one of the reactors on the store tanks and show you how it works , they are fairly cheap and they do one hell of a job.

one idea for your stand to get you sump out is to create a false wall on the side of your tank using magnets or something similiar to take it off, then your sump could slide in and out in case of an emergency, the framing on the side can be more open then in the front provided your horizontal suports are doubled up:)

cheers buddy loving it so far:)

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey guys. What are the thoughts of being able to do the fill with fresh and mixing in the tank instead if pre mixing?

Salt2Death
11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
If the tank is empty of live stock, sand and rock- its ok, but I'd suggest more frequent water changes as you cycle your tank.

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

reefwars
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Hey guys. What are the thoughts of being able to do the fill with fresh and mixing in the tank instead if pre mixing?

its ok , you may get some calcium precipitate onto your glass if the waters cold in which case it just scrapes off with a blade.

Delphinus
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I had a 75g a few years back on a beauty of a stand I built but the only way in and out for the sump tank was when the display tank was off, and sure enough Murphy's Law did strike. I had to remove the old sump with a hammer and ended up installing its replacement in the room in behind the tank after cutting the drywall to allow pipes to pass through.

You did a nice job on your stand, keep it, but what I'd recommend is changing out one of the sides to be a door so that the sump can slide in and out that way. You'll never regret more access.

Where'd you pick up the Apex?

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I have completely thought this through and I am going to put a metal support frame across the front and I am going to make the center section between the doors removable.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=Where'd you pick up the Apex?[/QUOTE]

I got the Alex online at Go Reef

Calgarynewtankguy
11-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Well here it is at the shop. Pick up tomorrow!!

Thanks again Dave and Denny!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/02/9u2y2atu.jpg

Calgarynewtankguy
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I solved the problem of getting the sump in an out of the stand. Took about another 10 lbs of hard lumber for support.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/03/7aqaju5u.jpg

molotov
11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I see you took out the centre brace. Nice work.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Trip to the LFS......http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/03/usudenan.jpg

subman
11-02-2012, 08:32 PM
looking great can't wait to see it wet!!
One day you will look back and thank the deity of your choice that you removed the center brace. having full access to the sump is critical IMHO

Calgarynewtankguy
11-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Well I am glad the tank fits in the mini van. Decided not to bother bringing the truck so I can keep the tank warm

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/03/rytuvaqy.jpg

Calgarynewtankguy
11-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Well it made it in on the stand!! Lights sure look good

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/03/aba7aba4.jpg

molotov
11-03-2012, 09:32 PM
So clean looking. Nice work Spencer

Dearth
11-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Looks awesome

A suggestion though if you haven't done it already is to buy some egg crate and put it on the bottom of your tank before you add sand it's just extra insurance in case one of your future creatures decides to move a live rock and it tumbles even a short drop can have serious consequences.

Home Depot sells it for about $6 a sheet

HaZRaTTy
11-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Looks awesome

A suggestion though if you haven't done it already is to buy some egg crate and put it on the bottom of your tank before you add sand it's just extra insurance in case one of your future creatures decides to move a live rock and it tumbles even a short drop can have serious consequences.

Home Depot sells it for about $6 a sheet

This being said this is a very debateable addition. If you do however add it be prepared to see the ugly eggcrate on the bottom of your tank because of sand being moved but current and moved by sifters or whatever else.

I will agree that if something was to fall or whatever the eggcrate would increase your chances of not having a disaster, but if you stack your rock right the first time you should be okay. I have never had the problem of anything falling.

Before you make the decision really way your pros/cons - once the egg crate is in there its a PITA to get it out especially with your tank running.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I finally finished building and pluming in the sump. Can't put water in the tank until Monday. Mixing salt water so I am ready for the fill. Still waiting for my shipment of heaters and other items

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/04/ruqu7ypu.jpg

Calgarynewtankguy
11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
This being said this is a very debateable addition. If you do however add it be prepared to see the ugly eggcrate on the bottom of your tank because of sand being moved but current and moved by sifters or whatever else.

I will agree that if something was to fall or whatever the eggcrate would increase your chances of not having a disaster, but if you stack your rock right the first time you should be okay. I have never had the problem of anything falling.

Before you make the decision really way your pros/cons - once the egg crate is in there its a PITA to get it out especially with your tank running.

I intend on going with a deep sand bed so I assume I wouldn't have as much risk of this happening, but I never considered it to be a problem so I will keep an eye out for it.

Coralgurl
11-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I'd suggest filling with just tap water to leak test everything first, if it's good to go, drain and fill with your mix! An extra step but worth it! Would suck to fill with salt water and have to drain it.

Build is looking great btw! Coming together quickly!

Calgarynewtankguy
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Well....... Tank I full if sand and water..... A few small issues to deal with but all in all it is running.

Out in Calgary shopping for rock. Probably split between 2 LFS

FishyFishy!
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM
You don't think that the bright lights of the tank will be annoying while trying to watch the TV right beside it?

ktsalt
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
he'll be watching his new tank for a while, no more tv lol

ktsalt
11-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I've had 3 inches of sand bed run across the tank all leveled, that only last a few days. I don't think it matters how thick your sand bed is, they will find a way and your rocks your tumble. Just be careful!

Calgarynewtankguy
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Ya the tank has my undivided attention for a while (unless there is a poker game)

As an update I managed to get a hold of 50lbs of dry rock that is currently soaking and I will be checking in with a LFS because they have a new shipment of L.R coming in the next two days. I am going to fine tune a few things in the mean time and I will post some pics soon......

Calgarynewtankguy
11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
An thanks for the heads up about the rocks. I will definitely have that in mind when I do my structure

Calgarynewtankguy
11-06-2012, 03:11 AM
So after a fantastic meeting with reefwars this afternoon I came home and turned my 20db tank into a careless whisper!! He set me straight on how to get my overflow performing properly and I was even able to increase my flow. I also took his advise an installed a gate valve on my return. I did have to silicone around the hole in my over flow where my pump return comes out. I performed a power failure test and failed! (Of course I had a container and back up pump ready to go). Pics bellow of new set up

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/06/nyruzyvu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/06/6e8egape.jpg

molotov
11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey Spencer,

It looks as though you've installed the gate valve on your overflow. I think Denny meant to have you put it on the return; being the return after your return pump in your sump. I'm also curious as to why a gate valve on the return? Most people do a ball valve after the return pump.

I'm also looking at the siphon line on one of your stand pipes. Are you running a beananimal overflow? I don't see a third standpipe? Maybe I just can't see it?

reefwars
11-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey Spencer,

It looks as though you've installed the gate valve on your overflow. I think Denny meant to have you put it on the return; being the return after your return pump in your sump. I'm also curious as to why a gate valve on the return? Most people do a ball valve after the return pump.

I'm also looking at the siphon line on one of your stand pipes. Are you running a beananimal overflow? I don't see a third standpipe? Maybe I just can't see it?

nope gate on drain , hes got it right;)

molotov
11-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Why a gate on the drain? If he's setup a Herbie he wouldn't want to restrict flow. If he setup a beananimal he would only restrict flow on the main siphon. It seems a strange place to put it. How many drains does he have?

I think plumbing is my favorite part of this hobby. I've plumbed my tank 3 different times now. I may be looking at a fourth time but we'll see. :mrgreen:

I'm interested to learn something new here perhaps.

sphelps
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
He's clearly got two drains, one with a gate valve and the other as back up, basic herbie overflow. All is normal here :biggrin:

Looking good bud!

molotov
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
He's clearly got two drains, one with a gate valve and the other as back up, basic herbie overflow. All is normal here :biggrin:

Looking good bud!

Thanks for the clairificaiton sphelps. So with the gate valve on the main drain, would his backup drain produce a very low flow as well? Hence the reason for the siphon pipe on the top and the gate valve?

subman
11-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Yep looks like a standard herbie to me too, you will love it. Silent once dialed in

Calgarynewtankguy
11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I am definitely finding it very very quiet but very awkward trying to dial it in. especially when my water level is fluctuating do to trying to place stock and set up. with the gate valve it becomes a hell of a lot easier

Calgarynewtankguy
11-07-2012, 04:10 AM
It has been a long day but this is where I am at........
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/07/ebypyjyp.jpg

Rock is in. Water level adjusted. Gate valve set and return pump now at max

Any one know what I can clean the filter socks with and how often. I was thinking weekly.

Tested for ammonia just to see. 2ppm

I will do a water change (10%) on Sunday. I just new to get my skimmer working then all is good and I can let the tank cycle for a while.

kien
11-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Looking good! Well, minus the cloudy water but that'll sort itself out :-)

I have 4 socks that I sometimes use (like when I'm doing an aggressive cleaning of sand and rock). I rinse used socks and store them in a buket. After 3 spent socks socks I will throw them in the washing machine with a bit of bleach. No detergent tho. I don't really like sock maintenance so I generally will not use my filter socks if I'm not cleaning the tank.

molotov
11-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I rinse them out in the laundry tub with a garden sprayer. Once my bucket is full of used socks I throw them in the washer with a bit of bleach. No laundry soap.

You'll find you might have to change them out more frequently than other other times. There is no set schedule. You'll know when you have to change them out. The water will stop flowing through them and it will spill over.

daplatapus
11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I clean my filter socks the same way. Turn them inside out and fire them into the washing machine with a bit of bleach, no soap.
I did find though that sometimes there's a bit of soap residue in the washing machine from a previous load, so I usually give my washer a rinse cycle before I wash my socks.

Delphinus
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I used to use the felt socks and the only way I could get them clean was the washing-machine-with-a-little-bleach method. I have since switched to the mesh based socks (same micron size). I only use the felt socks now if I have a particular situation that requires extra mechanical filtration. With the mesh socks I only need to rinse them well at the sink, then I sit them in a small bucket of water with a tiny bit of vinegar for a day or so. Then they're good to go again.

As for how often to clean socks ... you can't really put a schedule to it. They'll tell you when they need to be cleaned. (ie., when they're overflowing). Can be anywhere from daily to weekly or anywhere in between depending on your tank.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok I have 2 sets if socks and will monitor accordingly.

I am here to announce that every thing is up an running and I am calling this day 1! Had a bump in the road with my skimmer but problem solved.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/ry8uhugy.jpg
I have just performed a power failure simulation and had to adjust my pump nozzles so they didn't siphon to deep, now it passes! All water holds.

So please jump in if I am wrong but the daily schedule moving forward is:

-Test ammonia an salinity
-check for anything unwanted growing in tank
-make sure water level is maintained
-if ammonia starts to drop then start testing for nitrite

Weekly water changes 10 %???

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/ymynybe9.jpg

Am I missing any thing

kien
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Am I missing any thing

Step #1 is actually: Set up a separate saltwater bank account and start funnelling money into that account.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Account already started. Future vacation plans put on hold.

Next step! Lol

Calgarynewtankguy
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Already told the wife that her plans of going some where warm have been changed to "crank up the fire place and use a scuba mask in the tank to get your snoring fix"

NIVLEM09
11-07-2012, 09:02 PM
told my wife the same thing.our trip to western Caribbean is gonna have to be postponed til next year,cuz upgrading to a 75 gallon takes priority more than anything:mrgreen: but in return i'll fill the tub with saltwater and put a rubber duck in.

Leah
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Already told the wife that her plans of going some where warm have been changed to "crank up the fire place and use a scuba mask in the tank to get your snoring fix"

While she is in the tank snoring...check and see how much the life insurance policy is for her.

molotov
11-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Do you have an ATO? I would say that would probably be the next step.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Do you have an ATO? I would say that would probably be the next step.

I have the float switches and cable to make my switch box orders off eBay. Just awaiting there arrival and I will plumb in an ATO

Calgarynewtankguy
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
ok day 2 and as i read some threads on cycling my tank i came across a a thread stating measure your ammonia and if it is over 2ppm to do a complete water change...... well i measure mine today and i see about 3 to 4 ppm ammonia.....

instantly got up and performed a 25% water change, started making RO water and heading to LFS for salt.

I also read not to start with sand in the tank, of course i have seen other posts that say you can start with sand in the tank.

what is the general consensus? I have 3.5 inches of sand in the bottom.

FishyFishy!
11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I've always started with sand in the tank. Can't really see any benefit to not having the sand in there to start, because when you end up putting it in, there will have to be another mini-cycle all over again.

subman
11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
+1 what would be the reason for adding sand after?

Delphinus
11-08-2012, 07:52 PM
If I'm starting a tank from scratch I don't bother with a water change until after ammonia and nitrite read zero. For that matter I don't even bother testing ammonia ... I would test nitrite. The initial cycle is complete when nitrite reads zero.

The way I understand this ... the bacteria that feed on ammonia (and nitrite) grow in population proportional to the amount of resources that they feed on. The more food, the more they reproduce producing more bacteria to eat more ammonia. So reducing ammonia by doing a water change doesn't really help speed the cycle along, in fact it might even slow it down some. Of course, once they reach critical mass (the point at which they consume it faster than it is produced, giving you a zero reading), unless there is a continued source for the resources, they will start to die off so you need to ramp up the ammonia production by getting some life into the tank at that point.

Aquattro
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
You can add before or after, with after being a lot tougher and messier. No reason not to add it before, then try to not disturb it too much adding water.

ensquire
11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Sand in IMO , your sand needs to start building up beneficial bacteria etc.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-12-2012, 02:33 AM
quick update... Tank is cycling away. Ammonia is spiking hard. Skimmer is working awesome, pulling out about 1.5 cups of ugly brown stuff every day. set up an ATO of sorts, pre filled a container with 6 gal of RO/DI water put a small maxi jet pump in the container and plumbed a 3/8 tube into my sump. Made 2 marks on the side of my sump showing min. water level and where to fill to...... Now the wife just plugs in the pump and watches the level and unplugs when it is at the max. mark......... my new ATO (at least until my switches arrive :lol:

on another note I have changed to running the lights only 2 hours a day to minimize algae growth if possible.

let the waiting game begin :biggrin:

molotov
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Haha......I love it. Your wife is your ATO. Nice work.

You're trying to combat algea growth right off the bat. All I can say is Brutha, the algea is going to come. I dealt with green hair algea and it was BAD. It was like that for like three months. I'll send you a picture of how bad my tank looked. Today I don't have a spot of GH algea but got another kind of unknown algea. It's all but gone now as well but it is frustrating. it's best to brace for it and expect it and in time it will all go away.

When your ready drop me a PM and I'll give you some Cheato. That will help.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Just an update.....

Ammonia slowing coming down. Nitrites are climbing. Watching, testing and waiting. All good for now

Had one snail must have hitched a ride in the live rock.

Calgarynewtankguy
11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0.5 ppm
Nitrates - 80 ppm

It is getting there. Lots of brown growth in the tank

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/20/tyvarute.jpg

riceboy
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
are you using anything to cycle the tank? like prodibio or zeobak?

Calgarynewtankguy
11-20-2012, 12:40 AM
No, I just used live rock from a fresh shipment. 50 lbs worth

Calgarynewtankguy
11-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Day 21. Ammonia 0, nitrites .25ppm, nitrates 50ppm. Lots of diatoms in the tank. What looks like a bristle worm seems to have hitched a ride in the live rock (the wife doesn't like it) from what I read there seems to be mixed emotions when it comes to if the bristle worm is good or bad.

The snail that came wih the live rock is now named "Gary"

My new lunar module and LEDs for the Apex arrived at home. I will install next week. Also have to hook up and calibrate new Ph probe for Apex

kien
11-27-2012, 03:51 PM
almost there :-) I admire your patience. I've heard so many stories of people being impatient with their cycling and trying to speed it up by dumping all sorts of concoctions into their tanks during the cycle LOL.

denny_CC
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
hey , this is coming along great man i knew you would do well with it :)

once you think your cycle is done you can do a large water change to bring everything in range , then you can start to work on your water parameters:)

get to thinking about how your going to handle phosphates and nitrates export, read up on them and find what you think is your best option:)

as your finding, patience is the key and while its easy to try to rush it with a bit of time it will all come together:)

cheers and good job!!

denny:)

GracieLou
11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Nice build, love the snails name! Sponge Bob fan? lol

Calgarynewtankguy
11-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I love how I am being commended on my patients. I am sooooo lucky I am working away from home during this cycle or I would be staring at the tank like waiting for water to boil. I timed it perfect LOL!!

Thanks for the advice Denny, I will definitely read up on how I want to address those issues.

It does look like it is coming together! Once everything settles down I will post another picture. Probably in 10 days

Calgarynewtankguy
12-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Day 29. Four days ago we added the beginnings of a cleanup crew. Have slowly increased levels and now have added the first fish. Time to wait and watch levels.

Here is Henry

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/daze6yja.jpg

Already sifting sand. But has jumped out of the tank once. What a site!!!

Calgarynewtankguy
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Day 32. Home at last, tank looks great. Sand is spotless to the active goby and snails. Hooked up Ph probe to Apex an sitting at 8.0 (Didn't have lights on to prevent algae growth) should increase by end of day.

Hooked up 5 LED lunar module - looks cool.

Added another 8 plug module to the apex to accommodate everything. Now to install switches and build my I/O box (ordered DIN cable from eBay) which will work into a DIY ATO (even though the wife did a fantastic job while I was at work)

Still having display issues with the Apex. I will see what I can figure out.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/etanajet.jpg

Treebeard
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Looking good and another reefer from Strathmore! :biggrin:

Calgarynewtankguy
12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
So went to visit Denny and bought new T5 bulbs with a pattern of (front to back) white, superblue, Fiji purple, white, white, super blue.

It looks amazing compared to the old bulbs!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/08/7egavyqy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/08/y4y2yjar.jpg

Calgarynewtankguy
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
So 2 months in. Tank values seem fairly stable. Still a bit if GHA but my 2 sea hairs and lawn mower blenny are keeping it in check. Ordered a duel reactor (on the way); LFS talked me into adding a bubble tip anemone. It seems to have found a happy spot and looks really good. I have read that not a great idea for such a new tank so I hope things work out. I have a pic:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/a3uzyzez.jpg

A couple if frags are growing so must be doing good:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/7e2ysesa.jpg

And the new tank mates :

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/u3adegyq.jpg

Summit09
02-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Im building a very similar tank and was wondering if you just placed the live rock directly on the base of the tank and added sand after, or if you placed the live rock on a base.

Pan
02-11-2013, 11:06 PM
So 2 months in. Tank values seem fairly stable. Still a bit if GHA but my 2 sea hairs and lawn mower blenny are keeping it in check. Ordered a duel reactor (on the way); LFS talked me into adding a bubble tip anemone. It seems to have found a happy spot and looks really good. I have read that not a great idea for such a new tank so I hope things work out. I have a pic:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/a3uzyzez.jpg

A couple if frags are growing so must be doing good:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/7e2ysesa.jpg

And the new tank mates :

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/29/u3adegyq.jpg

Hopefully the Aneome works out. However a new tank fluctuates quite a bit (regardless of our testing). Usually a good 6 months should pass before you add an anemone.
Here is a bit of info to get you started, there is more but it is not geared towards a beginner.

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

Congrats on the new tank BTW!