PDA

View Full Version : Tank advice

Kierongrady
10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi there. I have two red eared sliders that are about 2 and half years old. Their shells are about 6inches in length. I think they are going to continue to grow although am not sure by how much. They are presently in a 100 gallon tank which seems fine for them but I expect they will eventually outgrow it. I don't want to keep buying bigger and bigger tanks. I would like to just get the "final tank" that I will need now. My question is "what size tank should I get if I want it to be the last one I do get"?
Thanks for any advice people have.

Proteus
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Are they saltwater turtles. Lol

Might get better answer on a reptile forum

Kierongrady
10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
No, they are fresh water

Aquattro
10-31-2012, 05:18 PM
We're not really a turtle forum....

Kierongrady
10-31-2012, 05:20 PM
OK, thanks. How do I remove this thread?

Aquattro
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
you don't :)

mrhasan
10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry but couldn't resist :redface:

Each RES requires 10gallon/inch. And they can reach upto 12". Since you have 2, so that means a total of 24" turtle. That equals 240gallon + 50 gallon (as complimentary space for them for being in the tank :mrgreen:)

Aquattro
10-31-2012, 05:29 PM
You might want to build a pond...:)

JDigital
10-31-2012, 06:42 PM
We're not really a turtle forum....

You're right. It's an Aquatics forum. Turtles are aquatic reptiles. Seems fair enough to post here.

Skimmerking
10-31-2012, 07:11 PM
You're right. It's an Aquatics forum. Turtles are aquatic reptiles. Seems fair enough to post here.
bamm

+1

Seriak
10-31-2012, 07:13 PM
The 10 gallon / inch is the recommended calculation on most forums although I wouldn't necessarily say you have to have that size for 2 RES. I have 2 RES in about 180 gallons with no intention of going bigger. They also share their home with some medium sized goldfish and koi.

But you should definitely be filtering it like its a 300-400 gallon.

Coasting
10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry but couldn't resist :redface:

Each RES requires 10gallon/inch. And they can reach upto 12". Since you have 2, so that means a total of 24" turtle. That equals 240gallon + 50 gallon (as complimentary space for them for being in the tank :mrgreen:)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/yeahthat.gif

Aquattro
10-31-2012, 08:06 PM

It's actually a reef forum, but he can post if he likes, just not as likely to get advice on turtles. Or at least good advice on turtles, compared to say, just wild ass guessing here, but maybe a turtle forum....
Try quoting where I said not to post....:neutral:

JDigital
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
:neutral:

Reefing can be associated with Freshwater as well. And last I checked, turtles can exist in either Salt or Freshwater Reef Ecosystems. Therefore a Reef Aquatics forum, such as Canreef Aquatics, is still decent place to ask his question.

Your post had the general tone of "Go Away, you're on the wrong forum" when you added the "...." at the end. Perhaps if you attempted to communicate effectively with more than 4-5 words, your posts wouldn't get mis-interpretted. Just because the rest of the forum knows what your posts can be like, doesn't mean a new guy with 3 posts to his name will understand you.

Just because you couldn't provide an adequate answer to his question, doesn't mean that other members here with experience in turtles can't help him just as much as compared to say, just wild ass guessing here, but maybe a turtle forum.

At most, this was only posted in the wrong section of the forum, Freshwater would have been the ideal section, unless of course he plans to start a build thread.

Feel free to have the last word, but I'm done.

Aquattro
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
:neutral:

but I'm done.

phew!! :)