PDA

View Full Version : Pruning in the Refugium....Any Tips?

Scales
08-02-2002, 05:52 PM
I recently modfied a "20 gallon long" tank into a sump/refugium for a standard 33 (the "boss" had to have "just one more tank" because she has run out of room in "her" other tanks). The refugium area is approximately 18 x 12 (I can't remember how deep....I think about 13 inches, but it has about 4 inches of sand). I added a large handful of various species of macroalgae and turned on the light (6500K PC bulb in a modified clip-on desk lamp with reflector).....a couple of weeks later I went to Europe for 5 weeks. Upon my return, the entire refugium area was absolutely packed with a dense growth of macroalgae....the surface is completely covered....it is even growing around the baffles into the other areas :eek: .

So I obviously need to prune, and before I begin, request that any of you so willing share your expertise....Do I just start cutting or is there some organized approach that should be adopted?....Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob I
08-02-2002, 07:23 PM
What kind of macro is it? I have Grape Caulerpa in my refugium. When it needs pruning I just pull out handfuls, and discard it, or give it away.
Bob

Son Of Skyline
08-02-2002, 07:53 PM
There's not much to it. Just trim it, yank it...etc. I guess the only thing you should watch out for are stray pieces of macro getting loose and into your main tank.

EmilyB
08-02-2002, 08:03 PM
FWIW, I have read recently that you shouldn't cut it, just pull it out as much as possible (to prevent release of toxins, etc from cut edges).