PDA

View Full Version : new to reef tanks

epok
10-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Well guys i made the leap into reef tanks. I have had mine going for about 4months and i am finally comfortable with my water to add some corals :). Got some off laurie today. Got some good suggestions but i could use more.

I got a 14 gallon biocube. With a couple frags of zoas and hammers. Small colon of pulsating xenia.

What else should I add that is beginner and is colorful.

reefwars
10-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Well guys i made the leap into reef tanks. I have had mine going for about 4months and i am finally comfortable with my water to add some corals :). Got some off laurie today. Got some good suggestions but i could use more.

I got a 14 gallon biocube. With a couple frags of zoas and hammers. Small colon of pulsating xenia.

acans and rics are always a nice addition and come in a variety of colors.

me personally i love gorgonians and monti's but they can be a bit more tricky:)

mrhasan
10-30-2012, 04:19 AM

Nothing beats mushrooms when it comes to "beginner and colorful" :D And for a bit spicy, you can try ricordia :)

epok
10-30-2012, 04:33 AM
Yeah i got some small mushrooms. Oh man i like the ricordia. Might have to look into getting some :)

mrhasan
10-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Yeah i got some small mushrooms. Oh man i like the ricordia. Might have to look into getting some :)

Yah. But they are generally really small when you get frags of rics and are slow grower. So I stay away from them :P

epok
10-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Doh Haha oh well. I dont mind slow lol

The Guy
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Doh Haha oh well. I dont mind slow lol
Ya, the one you saw in my 50g has been there for quite awhile and has hardly grown at all. But they a beautiful. I started with 3 and lost 2 of them, so water quality is important so I've been told. Enjoy the the new corals Nick. :biggrin:

epok
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks again Laurie, always a joy to learn and see other people projects. Only makes me wanna spend more money haha. Can't wait to see your new setup.

ScubaSteve
10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I have an electric green sinularia that is a good grower and hardy as heck, with great color. Especially under actinics. I think it has been my oldest and best coral since starting up. I recommend it!

If you come out to Vancouver at all I can give you a fair sized frag of it.

mrhasan
10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
I think nothing beats kenya tree in terms of "fast growth" ;)

epok
10-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I have an electric green sinularia that is a good grower and hardy as heck, with great color. Especially under actinics. I think it has been my oldest and best coral since starting up. I recommend it!

If you come out to Vancouver at all I can give you a fair sized frag of it.

Wow that would be awesome, I dont come out there very often but if I plan on it in the next couple weeks I'll send you a pm.

Snaz
10-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Welcome Epok. I'm sure you have done your homework and know that when adding livestock you must go slowly, especially with a new tank. With a new tank and big eyes it is easy to over do it!

When you are ready for my stock I have that GSP and favia frag for you, although some might consider giving a newbie GSP a poor welcome. :-)

epok
10-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Welcome Epok. I'm sure you have done your homework and know that when adding livestock you must go slowly, especially with a new tank. With a new tank and big eyes it is easy to over do it!

When you are ready for my stock I have that GSP and favia frag for you, although some might consider giving a newbie GSP a poor welcome. :-)

My tank has been setup for 4 months and when i bought it it was already cycled with live rock and sand. I just transported to my house and then waited till i liked the parameters. Thats why i am just bow adding small frags .